Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb Grindz
Yes, they still have it in 1# packages. Good ground lamb too by same company. I think it might even be organic/free range. It should be for the price. The flavor is lighter than beef to me, and it's leaner and higher in nutritional value. We use it for anything that normally calls for ground beef. Makes a mean burger too for less creative cooks.
I have a dear friend who still raises sheep, but they're pets only. She won't sell them for meat. They're sweet baby animals, but I'm half Greek and admit my mouth waters when I think of lamb. My last supplier had a waiting list and every animal was sold before even grown enough to process. Pasture fed Mountain View lamb is amazing. Now you've got me motivated . Will let you know.
RESTAURANT QUESTIONS

Hi everyone,

We've been eyeing the old/new BBQ place over by the Pahoa police station. We took a visiting friend there a few years ago, before the new management and while the food was decent, the ambiance and price were both disappointing (place was 100% empty and pricing was entirely too high in our opinion).

My questions are if anyone has visited it since the new owners took over, what are they serving now (I've seen tacos, burritos, pulled pork advertised on the sign so is it a Mexican/BBQ fusion restaurant now?) and what are their hours?

On another topic, what is your favorite restaurant on the island? We love Ocean Deli and Hilo Burger Joint but are always on the lookout for new places to try.

Mahalo to pog for starting this thread!

The locovore store in Hilo often has local lamb.

Jamie Oliver graciously posted his recipes for curry pastes online. This has revolutionized my curry making: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recip...ry-pastes/

A great many thanks to Mr. Oliver

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Wow, thanks Rocketman!
redefinehappy...on the BBQ place... We went there a couple of weeks ago. Food was really tasty, but it took like 45 minutes from order to serve. There was one other couple in there, with their dog. The waiter, who we assumed was owner's son, didn't pay much attention to us ... forgot one person's drink, for instance, prob bc he was talking story with his girlfriend most of the time we were there. Would we go again? Eh, not sure. And not sure why it took so long to prepare. You'd think everything we ordered would have been prepared in advance - except maybe the taco. We went at noon on a weekday.

Food was tasty and as follows: 2 of the 4 of us got pulled chicken plate. One of us got pulled pork. Both are served in a pile, not a sandwich. It comes with coleslaw (yummy), beans (ok), and cornbread (very good -- I ate mine with a fork like a piece of cake). The 4th got tacos. He said they were really good.

But you can't really fix the difficulty of pulling back onto the highway - it is steep with no room to pull out. Location location location.
Sounds like it's one of those places where you don't show up if you're really hungry.
quote:
Originally posted by rocketman

The locovore store in Hilo often has local lamb.

Also local raised chicken and beef, salad greens that were grown hydroponically in a clean room style green house so no worry about slugs, tasty vine ripened tomatoes, vegan pesto and affordable honey.
Rocketman - thank you so much for that tip! I've never tried that store before but it looks excellent.

http://www.bigislandlocavorestore.com/
Aloha Tom! I went into Locovore in Hilo today and will definitely be back. So nice to see so many fresh local products. They definitely have lamb and said they have a contact for mutton too. The people were really friendly and welcoming. The Hawaii grown cloves and nutmeg looked so fresh , coffee, seasoned salts , fruit and vegis.. They even had some crafty stuff, ceramics, jewelry,.
Mahalo Rocketman! I never knew...