Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roundabout Blues
PS. Sorry to hear about that, Linchpin. I hope your recovery is going well. That merge has seen quite a few accidents. It's not the greatest design but there are a few maniac drivers who can't think a few seconds ahead and plan to actually merge rather than race.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

PS. Sorry to hear about that, Linchpin. I hope your recovery is going well. That merge has seen quite a few accidents. It's not the greatest design but there are a few maniac drivers who can't think a few seconds ahead and plan to actually merge rather than race.

Thanks TomK, I'll survive - the car didn't though.
I don't hold ill towards the lady that hit me. She wasn't texting or any of that crap - just not being careful enough on a rainy day.

BOT (Back On Topic) (sort of)
I will say this though. Coming from a place with about 4.5 million people to a place with less than 200k - I have never seen so many boneheaded, ignorant, or downright stupid drivers. Living on the Kona side and having to deal with the tourists constantly staring at the ocean while driving along Queen K was one thing.... but here on this side, it feels like I'm in a bumper car rally full of mentally retarded chickens (no offense to the mental or chickens).

Oh, and back to roundabouts.... I hated them too when they were first introduced. But then I grew up.
I have never seen so many boneheaded, ignorant, or downright stupid drivers.

Horror vacui, or "Nature abhors a vacuum." -Aristotle,

Bad Hawaiian drivers spread out and fill the roadways allotted to them. When they can't, as in areas like Puna with one way in and one way out, the presence of all the unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured, and otherwise unqualified drivers is even more pronounced as they squeeze into a single ribbon of highway. A ribbon wrapping our gift from the HDOT, the gift that keeps on not giving - a solution to the problem.

Famous Last Words. Oscar Wilde: "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yesterday at just after 4:00pm I had just entered the roundabout coming from Pahoa Village road heading to Hilo, and much to my surprise I met a car going the wrong way in the circle. This lady was so flustered she was driving up on the bricks in the center of the roundabout.

I personally like the roundabout - Pay attention and Anticipate = Piece of Cake!
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

...with their bleeting self-stroking

Sounds like my normal Saturday night.
I met a car going the wrong way in the circle.
--------
Wonder if she had a driver's license?
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

I met a car going the wrong way in the circle.
--------
Wonder if she had a driver's license?

Breach birth...
"Yesterday at just after 4:00pm I had just entered the roundabout coming from Pahoa Village road heading to Hilo, and much to my surprise I met a car going the wrong way in the circle. This lady was so flustered she was driving up on the bricks in the center of the roundabout."

Perhaps it was a British tourist. We drive around roundabouts the wrong way...
Two things I think they need to bring the roundabout up to speed. First, a big sign at all the entrances saying " Cars in the roundabout are not to slow or stop to allow cars waiting at YIELD to enter" that really slows the thing down! The other is to have a couple of cops in the center, flagging people on to keep the speed up. I've been commuting through there several times a day since it opened and people poke through there at 10 mph!!

quote:
Originally posted by CatFincher50

Yesterday .. I met a car going the wrong way in the circle.

Are all the signs installed yet? Pavement arrows as well?
Most roundabouts have a one-way sign in the circle for each entering street as well as lane use signs in advance that depict correct circulation.
This error still happens in the UK, where they have all sizes of circular roadways and have had them continuously for 100 years.