Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava, she's back....
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...icks-steam

As a result of the new flow, the county Public Works Department also is giving a closer look at home construction in Kalapana Gardens, covered by layers of new lava rock from earlier flows.
"We have been in the field to determine the location of structures, whether the structures are permitted, and gathering property information for public safety planning," Public Works spokesman Barett Otani said in an email.

Confused, as usual: what difference does the "permitted" status make? Do the building permits magically divert lava?
Don't you just love the way that permitted vs. unpermitted only matters in certain contexts? What are they going to do? Make the owners tear down the unpermitted structures before the lava gets them? County of Hawaii logic at work once again.
Thank you so much, Mike. When something triggers those memories, it is easy to share. You're right, I need to start writing them down. In the old days, they would never speak of such things openly, never mind reduce them to writing. Mahalo again, and have a lovely day.

BTW, I understand the Kalapana Tours will be starting up again (down at Uncle Robert's in Kaimu).

JMO.
what difference does the "permitted" status make? Do the building permits magically divert lava?
------

No, but it would help them to establish where people live, in the event an evacuation is needed.
Also for reporting damage assessments, a permitted structure is a residence, non permitted an "outbuilding".

Community begins with Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

what difference does the "permitted" status make? Do the building permits magically divert lava?
------

No, but it would help them to establish where people live, in the event an evacuation is needed.

Not really, since people live in both permitted and unpermitted structures.
a permitted structure is a residence, non permitted an "outbuilding"

County spent at least $1M on software that analyzes aerial photos to discover new construction; this information can be cross-referenced with the permit database -- this suggests (to me) that the "fieldwork" isn't about figuring out how many buildings exist and what their permit status is, apparently I'm just "confused" (as usual).
I am in no way wanting to encourage or advocate for more people to go see the flow, or experience an adventure full of amazement here. Its true though, The new flow has reached the flats and is still burning many trees along her path down through Royal Gardens. The best or easiest non invasive or intrusive way to see or get close to the flow. Is to drive out to the national park gate on the cursed alternate road, then walk strait towards the obvious lava glow or the uphill. Proper footwear, first aid, guava walking sticks, offerings, and clothing are a must day or night. Obviously one must always try to stay respectful and careful while also being prepared for the unexpected to happen. I tend to get dropped off as to not cause parking problems or traffic issues. jmo.
The tribune already has pictures of people hiking in to the flow.
The people are to the far left in this photo.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/site...-62716.jpg

There is another photo with a fairly distinctive unpermitted shack for location reference, that shouldn't be hard to spot.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/site...G_3544.jpg

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
a fairly distinctive unpermitted shack

Looks more like a "frame utility shed" for which no permits are required...