Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So.. New Lawn Mower soon...
My Honda walk-behind mower is working great although the drive wheels are getting a little bald.
Yeah, I thought about drilling holes and adding some more metal to it, but it would only buy maybe 6 months before the then metal started to give way to the drilled out holes. Tape would be a good solution of the holes in the top of the deck, but, it's kinda strange, that little bit of metal under the hole where the grass comes out has a lot of stress for the right front wheel. Maybe there is more wrong with it mine, But maybe I could cut and flatten out some aluminum cans... makes some aluminum sheets to go along the affected area and tape it up. Just not sure if it would be strong enough. I was thinking maybe a cable that go around the entire frame would keep it together. It's not just patching it up be needs some support. About the only thing that would really fix it is a welding torch.

200 bucks every 5 years is sounding better and better.
Want to see photo when you flatten the cans method. : )
"That aluminum faced tape with the asphalt/tar coating used on metal roofing. It is incredibly sticky. If the adhesive side folds back on itself, you will never pull it apart."

Have no roofing experience, but my Dakota needs some patching. What is the stuff you are talking about called? Maybe a HD link or something?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/USEAL-USA-Ban.../202086180

Shows as not available in Hilo HD store, but this is what they are talking about. Or, just ask anyone in Puna with the stuff stuck over rust holes on their auto, where they got it. It allows one to pass safety inspection.
I used to use a foil backed butyl (super sticky, like bituthane window flashing, or bit**athane, as workers call it because it likes to stick to itself) tape on metal roofing and ductwork when back on mainland, but unfortunately have not seen it at the Hilo store. Perhaps I am not looking hard enough.

Community begins with Aloha
I am sure that tape is available if you call around. It came in different widths as I recall. A local roofing company will know where to get it.

Easiest to cut with a sharp x-acto type blade knife. If you sandpaper and clean the area that needs patching, the patch lasts a very long time. Since it flexes with movement and temperatures, it has many advantages over other fixes. And it is really cheap.
MarkP: tell me more about your Honda walk behind mower - where you bought it, price, etc. I've given up on my riding john deere mower - one problem after another, and I'm thinking I'll go to a smaller walk-behind. But it has to be tough enough (and ride high enough) to withstand or avoid the occasional lava rock hits from the "floaters".
Pretty sure I bought it at Home Depot. I will look for receipt but think it was around $400. One thing I like is that each wheel adjusts individually. Less to break that way. It is rear wheel drive. There are 4wd units out there but I am concerned about breakage of overly complex systems. It'll go high enough to clear some pretty rough ground which is one thing I need. All in all it does what I need.

ETA: I have hit many rocks. So far so good.
I find that the "tar tape" works really well when the foil side is (gently!) heated with a butane torch after application, causing the tar to melt slightly onto the surface, filling in all the gaps.