Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UH football pre-season
a powerful opponent could cause physical injuries to UH players before the regular season

You're absolutely right, it could happen. It's hard to quantify whether chances of an injury increase in an inter-conference match up like Hawaii vs Michigan, but even without a study, common sense would dictate that could be the case.

If you're interested in one aspect of the football injury scenario, see the excellent movie "Concussion." There's a lot of background to some of the findings that have been made public in the last five years.

In the meantime, football can be a brutal sport, especially on some plays, but I still enjoy watching it. Go Warriors!

Warriors vs. Wolverines
Sat, Sept 3rd
6:00 AM on ESPN
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Note: Sun Belt Conference Appalachian State almost managed another major upset yesterday. #9 Tennessee (SEC) needed a fumble into the end zone by their own player to win in overtime. Let's hope Hawaii can make as good a showing this Saturday as well.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by seekir

I'm not sure I made the point in my previous post clearly: The potential that a "paycheck" game could demoralize a team before they get a chance to believe in themselves, and the risk that a powerful opponent could cause physical injuries to UH players before the regular season even begins may neutralize any profit this scheme could generate because normally loyal fans fail to attend games in person or in their living rooms when their team's hopes and self-esteem are broken and losing becomes a trend.

It's a vicious cycle. A losing team attracts few fans, so the AD schedules blood-money games to keep the program solvent, so the team gets worse, etc. UH is hardly unique, sad-sack programs all over the country do the same thing. They have to: no money, no team.

You'd think at least a few talented teenagers would be excited to come "study" in Paradise.
I went the Kealakehe-Honokaa game last week just to check it out. Was thinking Kealakehe would overwhelm the smaller school but when I looked at the sidelines look like Honokaa had a lot more players so it was pretty good game with Honokaa passing on every down.

Try to watch the high school games on FS and OC16 except when goes up against Dateline on Friday night.

My understanding the reason Chow said "I'm not a quitter" is that if he quit he wouldn't get his full contract payout so he just hung around waiting to get fired??
I have to wonder how UH recruits its football prospects - and given the opportunity for second-rank UH players to get permanently debilitating injuries competing against players far above their strength and skills - they must spin them a pretty fanciful story.

It seems like an awfully cynical thing for the athletic department to be doing - but even the big time college programs serving as farm teams for the pros is pure exploitation of the "student athletes".
I too have concerns about the potential the sport presents for debilitating injuries to players. Junior Seiau's cognitive (and pain?) issues that led to his suicide, and the nonstop news of the concussions/TBI's and debilitating bone/joint damage players face makes the "game" seem pretty barbaric. I'm not sure the rules and equipment could be improved in a way that would minimize the harm without changing the nature of the game to the point that it loses its attraction. I do believe that helmets ought to be improved. Seems to me that the outside of the helmets could be soft, maybe with a hard middle shell (soft outside, hard middle shell, soft inner layer against the head) so that the shock of incidental helmet to helmet contact would be less dangerous.

My post was really more about the UH pre-season matches though, and the fact that they seem consistently unbalanced in the modern era.
Come to think of it, my native Florida teams were pathetic (especially FSU and Miami) FOREVER until the 1980's. They didn't even need to recruit, they just needed to keep the Florida kids in Florida, instead of fleeing to Nebraska or Oklahoma. In retrospect, it's a no-brainer (pardon the expression, CTE-wise): hey kids! Norman, Oklahoma or Coral Gables, Florida? Duh!

Keep it simple, UH recruiters: Beaches, Babes, Bikinis. Full heart, clear eyes, can't lose.
Keep it simple, UH recruiters: Beaches, Babes, Bikinis.

If only UH recruiters could convince more American Samoan students to enroll here rather than a mainland college. America Samoa has more young men who transition from college to the NFL than anywhere else in the country. Those kids love football, and can PLAY.

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by Lodestone

Full heart, clear eyes, can't lose.

I loved that show!
Hawaii has the chance to beat a powerhouse like Michigan and gain some respect back. If Hawaii has a decent team this year and ends up with a chance to represent in a bowl game then this game against the Big Blue is important, win or lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOF6-GScIGo

Several years back Hawaii actually had a decent football team led by QB Colt Brennan. The Team was possibly undefeated one year, yet still was slighted because they never played anyone ranked on their schedule. I think Hawaii that year ended up playing Georgia in a less than a Championship Bowl game and got crushed by 40.

Personally, I think Hawaii goes about it all wrong by investing or over paying AD's and some other school's washed up coaches. Good Money Following those better bowl appearances should have been going into improving the Athletic facilities, trainers, and player reports rather than increasing pension plans. It should alway's be a high priority for Hawaii university to keep some of it's most talented Quarterbacks like Marcus Mariotta or this Local boy Tua Tagovailoa.

http://247sports.com/Player/Tua-Tagovailoa-77451

Hawaii Player's and Coaches need to implement a serious weight program with better facilities to help the players maintain or gain proper weight that will allow them to compete today. If Hawaii could maintain a solid QB most of the time then the faster or bigger receiver's from Cal, Texas, and Florida would be more likely to commit.
Michigan 63, UH 3. Brilliant way to start a great season.