Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Fever
11 and a half years for me here and I too miss some mainland stuff. So I started spending 6 months here & 6 months in Silicon Valley w/family. After 6 months there I can't wait to get in the hot pond and after 6 months here I can't wait to get to Whole Foods. Of course that's due to being retired and not tied down. There is a pretty good Dollar Store across from Smith's used appliances, but the China chemical smell in there is overwhelming to me. (just my opinion). Expensive Kaiser is worth it for me because as a visitor in CA I get good Kaiser care. Lots of snow birds here, it's the best of both worlds.
I miss good Mexican food!

Reuben's and Luquinn's are both pretty authentic, have menus that go well beyond your basic taco/burrito, etc. and both have been open for business at the same locations for nearly 40 years so they must be doing something right. Love the crab enchiladas at Reuben's. Real crab, 16 bucks. What are you looking for that would qualify a mexican restaurant as good?
What are you looking for that would qualify a mexican restaurant as good?

Lucy's.

I know Luquin's has been there forever, but after stopping for dinner a few times I attribute their longevity to a captive audience more than the quality of their food. I'm a vegetarian though, so it's possible their meat based entrees are better.

“Rational people know what to expect. Irrational people know what to demand.” Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
[i ]What are you looking for that would qualify a mexican restaurant as good?

Lucy's. [/i]

I forgot about Lucy's. A bit more americanized, and I'm not crazy about their service set-up, but the food is ok.
Lee, I've been here just over 11 years and went back to the mainland (Seattle/Tacoma) area for the first time. Everything you listed, went through my mind! Loved getting on a freeway and driving without worrying about the guy up ahead going slow in the fast lane!! Or the guy stopping on the merglane. I even thought of moving back until I realized that being the first week of September, I was wearing genes, shoes, sock, and a coat while everybody else was wearing shorts and tees!! LOL I was freezing and Winter hadn't even started yet!! Yeah, I came back... took awhile to get back into the timid driving style that is the norm here... I did like the idea of driving for 3 hours at freeway speeds and not see the same thing twice or having to turn!! LOL

Luquins- Ate there 3 times. Service was horrible each time. The last time we went there it took over an hour to get our food (and we were the only ones there). Every surface of every object was sticky and we could see roach feces on walls. The most "authentic Mexican" part of the experience was trying to shoo the flies off our food when it finally arrived. Haven't been back (almost 3 years) so maybe its improved. Maybe it's worse? Not sure, I can't imagine a scenario where we'd ever return.

Lucy's- Ate there once. The cafeteria-style ordering seemed rushed and the menu wasn't intuitive, place was really noisy to the point conversation nearly impossible. Food was too salty to eat (both of us). Practically made our lips crack eating the food. Didn't bother taking leftovers home. Think we got a bad cook that day or something, possibly willing to give it a second chance. Any suggestions for a "quieter" time to eat ? Probably a best bet for frequent diners who have a chance to unlock the menu selections they like, or the "Salt Creature" from the original Star Trek series ( http://www.startrek.com/article/what-wer...-creatures )

Reuben's- Haven't been there yet. Not sure where it is. Eager to try it.

Maui Tacos- For some reason it's always hard to remember we have one (in the mall near the theater). Cafeteria-style ordering but a little less hectic than Lucy's. MUCH quieter. I recommend their burritos, spend the extra dollar or whatever and get it "wet" (drenched in tasty sauce). Decent fresh salsas and picos at the salsa bar. I always load up on cilantro. Not much for ambiance considering the dining area is a roped off section in a mall. With a name like "Maui Taco" you know it's not going to be "authentic Mexican" going into it but so far it tops my list of "Mexican Style" restaurants on the East side. Food comes out fast relative to the other options in this post I've experienced so it's a lunch option. https://mauitacos.com/our-menu/
not see the same thing twice

Or see things you never see on Big Island.
I was driving down the freeway on the mainland with my sisters some years back, and couldn't help myself when I saw a car dealership & restaurant right next door to each other. I blurted out in bewilderment, "Hummers & Hooters, are you kidding me?"

It became very quiet in the car for a while after that, as they were church going ladies.

“Rational people know what to expect. Irrational people know what to demand.” Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Reuben's- Haven't been there yet. Not sure where it is. Eager to try it.

I'd recommend giving Reuben's a permanent miss - ate there twice and don't believe that I have ever, anywhere encountered worse service at a dining establishment: surly, slow, indifferent, ....
Ugh, bland, starchy food, food poisoning, bad service, getting charged for tortilla chips--I've eaten at all of the Mexican restaurants listed, plus Bueno Burrito and the newish place Buenos Amigos. No reason to mention them, I guess. I actually like Maui Tacos, aside from the ambiance.

We spent a week in Kona recently and visited every single Mexican restaurant we could find. My favorite: Habaneros, in the Keahou shopping center, over by the movie theater. Great food, cafeteria style. Their upscale sister restaurant in town wasn't as good--but it had margaritas.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
wasn't as good--but it had margaritas

Lucy's for margaritas; there is table service in the bar, and the food tastes much better there.