Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pending dog abuse laws
I'm not sure why people bother to obtain a dog if they are just going to keep it chained up in the yard. Cheap burglar alarm, I guess?
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

How many people are going to get bit by all these loose dog. A lot of the people that have these dogs don't have the money for a fenced in yard so it's loose, locked in a crate, or in the house with little kids.

What is wrong with having a dog in the house? I was raised with dogs who were allowed in the house and slept on my bed at night. I'll be many Puna Webbers could say the same. A properly trained and well cared for dog can be a wonderful companion for kids (the kids need to be trained as well on how to treat the dog). Dogs are pack animals and should be with the family -- their pack.
quote:
Originally posted by SoCal_to_Hawaii

quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

How many people are going to get bit by all these loose dog. A lot of the people that have these dogs don't have the money for a fenced in yard so it's loose, locked in a crate, or in the house with little kids.

What is wrong with having a dog in the house? I was raised with dogs who were allowed in the house and slept on my bed at night. I'll be many Puna Webbers could say the same. A properly trained and well cared for dog can be a wonderful companion for kids (the kids need to be trained as well on how to treat the dog). Dogs are pack animals and should be with the family -- their pack.

I have a fenced in acre and my dogs come in and out of the house with my kids.
But the pig hunting and guard dogs you see all over puna are not pets. Someone can look up the number of maulings there are in the the state ever year
Most people don't have the money to build a fenced dog yard. But it doesn't cost much to buy 70 feet of cable at Home Depot, six $2 clamps, another 15 feet of cable and a swivel clip and a metal ring to make a long dog run that lasts for years. All you need are two trees or one tree and your house to attach it to. Then at least the dog can run around and stretch. If a person can't afford to make a humane area for their dog (or any animal) then they shouldn't be allowed to have them.
quote:
But the pig hunting and guard dogs you see all over puna are not pets. Someone can look up the number of maulings there are in the the state ever year

I am glad to hear to treat your dogs well. I don't think pig/guard dog vs family pet has to be either/or. If a dog has a knack for pigs or guarding it will do so, even if it is not abused. (A cat who is a good mouser will mouse even if the cat is rotund from too much Friskies.) The key is good, humane training and properly caring for the dog. What better guard dog could you have than one who loves and adores your children? Won't a dog hunt better if it views the owner as part of the pack instead of it's tormentor?

I understand this is not the mindset of many of the 'locals,' but I am not a cultural relativist.
quote:
Originally posted by sistersue

Most people don't have the money to build a fenced dog yard. But it doesn't cost much to buy 70 feet of cable at Home Depot, six $2 clamps, another 15 feet of cable and a swivel clip and a metal ring to make a long dog run that lasts for years. All you need are two trees or one tree and your house to attach it to. Then at least the dog can run around and stretch. If a person can't afford to make a humane area for their dog (or any animal) then they shouldn't be allowed to have them.

I absolutely agree. I moved from the mainland a little over a year ago (with my three cats) and one of my concerns about doing so was having to witness (I can be a little sensitive) how animals are treated by some.
That was one of the hardest things for me as well when I moved to this island. It's not as prevalent on Oahu as the BI. In fact when I moved here, Oahu's Humane Society was working on a no chain law. Dogs become anti-social and are ticking time bombs when they get loose. A child had been killed after approaching a chained dog.

I called the Humane Society from a parking lot after seeing a dog in the back of a pick up truck for over an hr in the sweltering sun. They came and waited for the owner to come out to the car.

One afternoon I heard a guy yelling from my house and went to investigate. His dog collapsed on the side of the road from exhaustion in a shady spot while the owner stood over it yelling and yanking on the dog's leash. He had been riding his bike in the hot sun pulling the dog on a leash. The guy was clueless so I told him I felt sorry for the dog bc she's obviously exhausted. I offered to get the dog water but turned out he lived just a few houses away.

Another guy who was building and flipping in HPP had German Shepherds posted at each of his empty houses w/a matching dog house. I often biked by the dog on Beach Rd who's water dish was a pie pan that often had flipped over. The poor dog would lay underneath a stone bench nearby where he was chained to get relief in the small shady spot. Lots of people had called the Humane Society. One day the dog was running down the road and I saw the owner at his other property and stopped to inform him. He got in his truck and drove in the opposite direction. The dog was scared of me and I saw him running loose around for another couple of weeks. The dog knew where his other properties were on 2nd and Kaloli dead end and would visit the other shepherds. Later I heard someone had kidnapped 3 of them and gave them to good homes. The dogs had been found starving while the owner was out of town. He had the nerve to file a suit against her. They ended up having to pay the owner for the cost of the 3 dogs. It was worth it to them. The dogs are in loving homes.
quote:
Originally posted by SoCal_to_Hawaii

quote:

I am glad to hear to treat your dogs well. I don't think pig/guard dog vs family pet has to be either/or. If a dog has a knack for pigs or guarding it will do so, even if it is not abused. (A cat who is a good mouser will mouse even if the cat is rotund from too much Friskies.) The key is good, humane training and properly caring for the dog. What better guard dog could you have than one who loves and adores your children? Won't a dog hunt better if it views the owner as part of the pack instead of it's tormentor?

I understand this is not the mindset of many of the 'locals,' but I am not a cultural relativist.

Pointing out a genuinely bad aspect of local culture isn't wrong. This may be one reason so little is done about it; people are afraid of being labelled a bigot for doing the compassionate thing. That hesitancy has to be overcome. As HI residents we're quick to point out the flaws of mainland culture, the pushiness, the aggressive assertiveness...etc. We can't let that blind us to the fact that local culture isn't perfect. Tradition doesn't trump doing the right thing.
As I totally agree with TomK...

On the other hand, I hope that something can get passed so that "whoever" is going to enforce the law(s)... Does so fairly and for the benefit of the animal.

Coming here from the mainland a little over 5 months ago, I am shocked by the way some dogs are treated here. We have a dog who is part of the family. He sleeps with us, comes outside with us, guards us when necessary and enjoys his life. If there are laws about cruelty or inhumanity treatment on the books already, they should be enforced rather than have new ones put on the books that are still unenforced. Ownership of an animal is a responsibility. Tethering or otherwise limiting your dogs abilities is poor ownership at best and shows a total lack of responsibility at its worst.