Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fancy show pigeon found in yard
It would be interesting to know where he came from. Local? Or another island?
Your guess is as good as mine. The guy on Oahu says it could be a bird that was left when someone moved, or it could be a bird who was on his way home and got tired. I don't think they can go as far as another island.

Hopefully when someone finally comes for him (fingers crossed) they'll be able to pick him up and read the tag on his leg. That's supposed to have the club and the date of hatching. If I didn't have dogs, I'd totally let this guy hang around. He told us to trap with box held with stick and string, like Wile E. Coyote, but I'm not sure I have the patience!
Thanks for all the updates, please let us know how it pans out!
There is a house on Kaloli below 22nd that is "running" a flock of pigeons - mostly white ones?
A Green cheeked Conure came to our house last year. We tried FB, but nobody ever called. Nice bird looking for someplace with food and water. Guess he heard our birds and thought it was a safe place.

When our Lovebirds get out, they usually go to the neighbor's house. They have Lovebirds too. Sometimes they just come home when they get hungry.

I hope somebody claims him, or you have a new friend. Either way, he seems to feel safe with you. It's good of you to try to find his people.
Thanks, Menehune - I heard about those. Will drive up Kaloli at some point to try to see them, Also will post on a 2nd FB page. A young man who came here for pest control said he has a friend in panaewa who has racing and tumbler pigeons. Haven't heard back yet.

Our neighbor has parrots & lovebirds, too, Kenney, and has acquired a few from being hungry visitors. The pigeon has gone over there and eyed the place, and they put out water and food for him, but I guess he's decided birds of a feather and not interested in hookbills! He's on our roof right now and I can see him out the window. He sure is pretty.

edit fixed typos.
Just curious Dstime, do you have dogs?
My dogs chase (and kill) birds if they're not caged. Our hens have learned to puff themselves up and stand their
ground or chase the dogs, but one of our Lovebirds was not so lucky.

I'm just wondering if lost birds prefer visiting places with no dogs. The once often visiting Pheasants have been stearing clear of
us since we got a new "batch" of dogs when our old, slow, blind guys died.

Smart visiting birds land on top of the bird cages and not the ground where
Dogs are.
Your visitor isn't taking any chances. Smart bird!

Actually we do have dogs, which is my main concern. And they're both FAST. We've been keeping them on the porch bc of the bird, but I think what we should do is let them out when we know the bird is on the roof, so the bird can see them, and stop putting out any food for the bird from now on. There's a nice aviary right across the street -- parrots and love birds mostly -- with plenty of food, and the owners say they will welcome him as they have had pigeons in the past. He's even gone over there and sat on their roof checking things out. Maybe he's afraid of the parrots?? Anyway, I think that's the answer. As much as I like this pigeon, he shouldn't feel safe here.
The worst of our dogs is a terrier, the smallest one. He can catch a bird or mongoose or rat in the blink of an eye and snap their necks before I can stop them. We don't mind so much when it's a rodent, but heartbreaking when one of our guys gets out. Beware roosters or "stranger" birds! Nothing on the ground is safe here. Best to take to the trees. Beware of dogs.

I hear you! Both our dogs are terrier chihuahua mixes, and they go after birds for sure. Chickens, anyway. But none since we shored up the fences to keep them out.