Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cops at Orchidland
In my experience, I find it's best not to expend any energy responding to posts from individuals who only post creepy/bizarre mixes of pedantic knowledge and emotional vomit.
We were recently pulled over by a Puna Patrol Officer as he claimed we did not turn on our turn signal soon enough prior to turning into H.A. from Hwy 11.
We talked story awhile and he gave us a warning about turn signal etiquette. This was in mid afternoon last week - state law says 2 hours prior dawn and 2 hours prior dusk all vehicles must either use turn signals or head lights or both.
Any road in the state,be it private or public a police officer has jurisdiction to stop any vehicle they want to.
Case in point - county owns the connector lot between H.A. and Ainaloa Blvd .
The speed limit on Ainaloa Blvd was recently raised to 35mph where the connector lot and paved in H.A. is 25mph .
Many times the Puna Police will sit in their vehicles on the county owned county connector road pulling over the many for what ever the reason .
Rd 8 and C in H.A. is notorious for them to set up shop .
As is the connector lot between H.A. and Ainaloa.
If it is towards the end of the month they are getting their quotas.
Mrs.Mimosa

quote:
Originally posted by terracore

In my experience, I find it's best not to expend any energy responding to posts from individuals who only post creepy/bizarre mixes of pedantic knowledge and emotional vomit.

Normally I would agree. But sometimes...
Understood, you have the high ground.
Getting pulled over for turn signal seems trivial. I'd be more concerned with people using cell phones or some other distraction. At least it only resulted in a warning.

I spend to much time in Hilo.. and couldn't count the number of minor traffic violations I see in a given day.
Police will sit in their vehicles on the county owned county connector road

It's especially effective considering the blind hill as you come up Ainaloa -- you can't see the cops or the 25mph signage.

time in Hilo.. and couldn't count the number of minor traffic violations I see

Presumption is that Hilo residents have already paid their "fair share", so they don't need to also be ticketed. Myself, I've only been ticketed in Puna, nowhere else on island.
Or just to dang many.. lol. Puna needs policing more I would say..
As well as upper puna .. they get off easy to.. judging by the amount of beer bottles along the access roads... eden roc .. fern forest.. looking at you.
Puna needs policing more I would say..

Puna is getting all the policing it pays for.
kalakoa,

There is a long documented history of eight of the Big Island's districts paying more into the general fund than they get back in capital benefits. One district, Hilo, has been the beneficiary of that history. So by the records, historically, Puna has not been getting the policing it has been paying for.

At this point with Puna having basically the same population as Hilo one might expect the manning of the districts to be equal. kalakoa, why not research that current fact and get back to us.

Its too easy just making pointed little posts without research.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
If I remember right puna has 50 + change officers .. I assume that is upper and lower puna. I don't know how many work per shift.. I would assume about one third of that number.. but it seems a bit thin for the area covered.

Numbers taken from annual report.
http://www.hawaiipolice.com/about-us/annual-reports