Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County resolution 205-17
How much gas tax? How much income and GET tax? And what percentage of service and infrastructure expenditures do we receive for all of those?

I'm sure Kona residents would love to see these numbers, since they're always complaining about how their high taxation subsidizes the poor districts -- yet without those poor districts, none of the Kona support staff would have a place to live.

Council resolutions have a net effect of zero.

Unless they're spending money.
quote:
Originally posted by geochem

I'm afraid that I don't understand the logic here - the infrastructure in Puna and Ka'u isn't being subsidized by the other districts and, therefore, those districts are being discriminated against?

Of course, this seems to be the prevailing logic: "the gummint has to meet all my needs, right now and with only the best that's available.... oh, and I shouldn't have to pay for it..."

The 2000 case proved that Puna is subsidizing Hilo.

Wonder how those numbers would stack up after the lava flow event???
"they're always complaining about how their high taxation subsidizes the poor districts -- yet without those poor districts, none of the Kona support staff would have a place to live"

Not to mention, nothing for the tourists to see. Maybe they can move the volcano, the waterfalls, the greenery, and, well, "Hawaii" to the Kona side?
Maybe they can move... "Hawaii" to the Kona side?

Didn't we already get a good start on that? Back when the Kona side resorts dug up thousands of palm trees on the east side, planted them around their properties, and lined the long entryways for a tropical look and a little shade?

If I know what I shall find, I do not want to find it. Uncertainty is the salt of life. - biochemist Erwin Chargaff
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by geochem

quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

The 2000 case proved that Puna is subsidizing Hilo.

Wonder how those numbers would stack up after the lava flow event???

Doesn't matter, since the subsidization went on for decades before that. The rent is due, with interest.

The rent is due, with interest.

Seems like I've heard that one somewhere before.

Again: if Puna is too much of a burden for County, maybe they can just set us free. Starting with the land-use regulations that prevent our having any kind of local economy.

The whole "we won't provide, nor let you create" (aka "just drive to Hilo already") is getting really old.
How would someone or someone's go about petitioning the state to make puna a seperate county.

Since puna is the fastest growing district in the state... you would think they would want to bait more people in .. with the fluff of basic services.. so 20,30 years down the line they would have a well fed cash crop ready to harvest. (Taxes)

.. as an after thought, a couple gated communities out around Shipmanville (keaau) with full service would just about cover the expenses of the rest of the district.. as long as the taxes stayed in the district ..that is.
make puna a seperate county

The rest of the island would cry foul about the "unfairness".

I think the island should be 4 or 5 counties.

Next problem, each of the new county governments would be corrupted and have massive cost overruns because there's no oversight.

The other "obvious" solution: let the massive "agricultural" subdivisions incorporate, so they can have their own taxation and land-use authority, along with some semblance of accountability.

Ultimately, the problem comes down to: the people running the show are making plenty money for themselves under the current rules, so will resist anything that threatens their gravy train.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

[i]

The other "obvious" solution: let the massive "agricultural" subdivisions incorporate, so they can have their own taxation and land-use authority, along with some semblance of accountability.

Wonderful idea. With all the angst over: community association board members; getting roads maintained; and mailboxes installed that I continually see from these subdivisions on this forum, I'm sure that would work out just fine....