Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitch Roth: crime spike just social media hysteria
I don't believe the stats from the police.

Compare the number of cars being reported, almost daily, on the social media sites like Facebook/Big Island Thieves compared to what the police and prosecutor are claiming. It doesn't even begin to add up. Maybe the police don't count auto thefts in a "private subdivision"?
I'm not sure how they are getting these numbers, but maybe this is an island wide thing or even state wide? At any rate, if the looked at just Puna/Hilo, I think the numbers would spike in favor of crime going up. It's just how I see it.

I don't agree with Roth, as we ALL should be AWARE and keeping watch and reporting on any CRIME. Want to blow it out of proportion, the more that see it and are aware the better if you ask me.

An awake community is much better off than doing the usual... Sweeping it under the rug... We need to hold these state officials accountable for how they are doing on the job. Not suggesting the numbers look low, and I guess I'm doing my job correctly. So, now I can just sit back relax... Cruize through another voting cycle.... Business as usual BS.
" Figures don't lie, but liers figure "
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

"But Chong noted that while some cars are stripped for parts, “A lot of time they’re just run to the ground and abandoned….We suspect they’re just taking them for a joy ride.”"

He's playing down two concerns/assumptions. First, that there's an organized criminal enterprise involved in stealing cars on island-apparently not (?)
Second, that cars stolen by others besides the nonexistent crime ring are usually drug fiends. Again, maybe not so much as we have heard through the grapevine.

But as you say, the effect on the car owner is the same regardless of the perpetrator's social profile.
I think that within ~7 days of creating a task force (PaulW mentioned) 2 known major (and violent) car thieves were found and arrested. This 'good' outcome goes to show the inadequate way the investigations were run prior to the taskforce. Like a taskforce needed to be created just for different cops to talk to each other and compare notes. Way to 'spin' it, HPD.

Seems like the investigators don't even talk to each other (this was my experience when my house was burgled a few years ago when a rash of burglaries was in the neighborhood. When different officers came to investigate both break-ins on my property within the same 2 weeks, they had no way to follow up with the previous report or evidence. I gave the officers pictures of all the stuff stolen from 4 different houses from all my neighbors, just so the report would have everything in one place for the 'investigation'. The police found and returned some of my stolen goods (had serial numbers to prove it) but I never received any information about restitution or court progress for the rest of the stuff taken). Talked to Mitch and the community police officers directly at a public meeting who promised they would follow up... *crickets*

Mauka Hilo-side
Mauka Hilo-side
for different cops to talk to each other and compare notes.

Seems like a simple computer algorithm could find similarities between cases that are reported.

Four people are in a room and seven leave. How many have to enter again before it's empty?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600

[i]Inoculate yourself a little.

Yeah, it's all fun and games till someone loses an eye. It's easy to say this when it hasn't happened to you.

I bet you'll be singing a different tune when you come home to a kicked in door and valuables taken and privacy has been violated. It's just the numbers game here.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

for different cops to talk to each other and compare notes.

Seems like a simple computer algorithm could find similarities between cases that are reported.

Four people are in a room and seven leave. How many have to enter again before it's empty?

seems like if a person would spend a few hours a day managing these cases then the same thing could be accomplished.
when you come home to a kicked in door and valuables taken

Exactly why "some people" don't want paved roads.
Well "some people" are going to be disappointed, because burglaries happen on unpaved roads all the time here.