Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Naniloa hotel
TomK - glad to hear you had a nice stay. We changed rooms after the first night (wanted a balcony) and while the service was slow - as you mentioned - they were very friendly. We just chalked it up to "Island Time" and enjoyed the view from the lobby.

Speaking of the lobby, we we're starting our bathroom remodel after we got home and were still looking for tile. We really liked the tile they used in the lobby and after talking about it when we got home, decided that's what we wanted. I called the hotel to see if I could get info about it but couldn't find anyone who knew. I ended up searching the internet for news on the hotel remodel and found the construction company doing the work. I called them and after talking to a few people found the manufacturer and tile name. We got it and it was installed a few weeks ago. Every time I look at it now I think about the Big Island and how much we loved it there...
...and if they didn't get the exact same rate

It's not just that hotels quote different rates to different people, they also quote different rates depending on:

* day of week
* length of stay
* portal or website you are booking from (trivago, hotels.com, etc)
* whether you're also renting a car, buying a plane ticket.

I once checked rates, went back the next day and they were almost double. I also checked open dates one day, went back the next day and they were entirely different.

I called customer service (not for Naniloa) and spoke with a friendly representative in India who explained it to me like this:
"Sir, many of our customers refer to that as Now You See It, Now You Don't."

So TomK's advice about room rates:
"Why should I do his research for him?"
is the most helpful and accurate response to a question concerning the cost of a hotel room. It takes into account that the rate is different for everyone, it's even different for an individual depending on all the factors I noted above. The only way to get an accurate price in the year 2017 is to call or click yourself.

(It's) what the existentialists called "awful freedom" the reinvention of irrationality by marginalized people, just in order to spite science. -Elif Batuman
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
You also have to factor in the type of room you want. In addition, I got the rate I did from a Hilton flash sale so what I paid has no bearing on what someone else would pay today.
HI_Someday - thanks for that. We're actually here for a few more days yet so should get the full experience! So far so good. I learned today that the bar by the reception will remain even after the new restaurant and much larger bar open on the floor below, which is good because it's such a great setting and so far we've had wonderful live music each evening. The current buffet evening food is not great but edible (haven't tried breakfast yet), but it's not the kind of food I'd make a special trip to eat. Hopefully, the new restaurant will be an improvement.

All the staff has been incredibly friendly. I think that's the main reason for the relatively slow service, they're just spending a lot of time being nice to everyone. Can't really complain about that!

We've also spoken to a few people who are regular visitors to Hilo and so far they all say this is by far the best hotel on Banyan Drive now. I agree. The Hilo Hawaiian has some serious competition now.
I stayed here for 8 days in early July. We had a very nice 2 room suite that was plenty spacious. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate, but I agree with Tom that the dinner was just ok. But you are within a beautiful walk to the Hilo Bay Cafe. And there is a decent chicken plate lunch food truck right next door in the Uncle Billy's parking lot.
We were there over Independence Day, and the hotel did a nice BBQ out in the lawn along with cheap draft beer, in addition to activities for the kids. Great place to see the fireworks too!
All in all, a very pleasant experience for us. The hotel is a work in progress, but from what I've been told it's come a long way in the past two years. (Rumor has it the owner has his eyes on the dump next door...) By the way, our suite's number ended in"00", those are the suites with a soaker tub.
We spent a total of 16 days on the Big Island, with the second part staying at one of the Lava Lane cottages in Pahoa.
Well, it's Pam's and my last night at the Naniloa. What can I say? It's been great! We've made so many new friends including the bar staff and the musicians that play in the lobby area each night, in particular, Franz and Shaun (Shawn?). The music and entertainment were wonderful! Zanna and Andrew at the bar were exceptional and so friendly and helpful.

Our room was 400, and as Jim mentioned, it's a suite with a bizarrely placed tub that's half in the bathroom and half in the living area. It took a long time to get used to its location, but the suite itself was fantastic. We did have an A/C problem but it was fixed within a couple of hours of reporting it.

Parking is an issue, especially when there's an event at The Crown, but even then, the security staff found a place for us to park which was near enough for Pam to be able to walk from.

We highly recommend it, and in the next month or so a new restaurant and bar will be finished on the ground floor (with Taylor in charge of making it a success, another friend we made!).

Pam loved her stay which is, of course, the most important thing!
Ha Ha Tom, Bizarrely placed is right for the soaker tub! We spent the whole stay wondering what they were thinking when they placed it there right in the middle of the suite. We did find a great use for it though. Since we came in from Florida we had no cooler. We brought an insulated (but not waterproof) bag to keep our beer wine etc cold. Filled it full of ice every morning and placed it in the tub so the water would go down the drain as the ice melted.
By the way, we had your exact same room!
The nightly music was good quality and diverse. We really enjoyed our time there.
Wish I thought of that, Jim. We just used it to dump dirty towels!
I think those rooms with the tubs were part of those that were renovated by the previous owner Ken Fujiyama .
My wife and I have stayed there 3 times in the last 2 years.Every time has been great, even with the construction still on going.
I tend to agree about the tub. It didn't come across as something you'd typically find at a Hilton-owned hotel but it definitely created a topic of conversation at the bar!