Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cesspools and Septic law(s)?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

I wonder if an unpermitted cesspool will qualify for the upgrade grant...

I would think so, if the goal is to remove the most harmful cesspools from service.
Not without lots of amnesty; the unpermitted don't advertise their status. Imagine getting a tax rebate for the septic upgrade, followed by a condemnation of the building...

I'll point out (again) that this rule is all stick, no carrot: we really need "type approved" solutions.
Confused. Bottom line for me: Is it now the law that if I sell my house before 2050 which has a cesspool that I'll have to tear up my back yard/landscaping, no access for a bulldozer, and put in a septic system before the sale could go through? Does not seem fair.
Hawaii Public Radio today aired an interview about cesspools with the State Environmental Council’s Information and Outreach Committee Chair, Roy Abe, a licensed civil engineer with 38 years of experience in wastewater systems. He believes conclusions by state officials blaming cesspools as the leading cause of groundwater and ocean pollution are mistaken. Some of his comments about cesspools:

When the wastewater goes in there, the solids do settle, there is biological degradation going on and as the wastewater percolates into the ground, there’s additional filtration occurring. So DoH and also the EPA, they’ve come up and says that cesspools discharge raw wastewater and that’s why I object because there’s some treatment going on.”

“The Wai’anae Coast was basically all cesspools at one time and they put in treatment plants and sewer systems to eliminate the cesspools and yet, they still have problems with their coral and algae growth and so on. So, it’s something else.

http://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/st...nformation

He also notes that one of the reasons county officials wish to shut down vacation rentals is their belief that visitors use more water per house, and overtax intended cesspool specifications. Vacation rentals are likely to be filled with two people per bedroom rather than one.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
one of the reasons county officials wish to shut down vacation rentals is their belief that visitors use more water per house, and overtax intended cesspool specifications

I would have more respect for County if they were transparent about their intent.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Hawaii Public Radio today aired an interview about cesspools with the State Environmental Council’s Information and Outreach Committee Chair, Roy Abe, a licensed civil engineer with 38 years of experience in wastewater systems. He believes conclusions by state officials blaming cesspools as the leading cause of groundwater and ocean pollution are mistaken. ...

With all due respect to Mr. Abe's 38 years of experience, groundwater chemistry data don't support his perception of the problem. Nitrate levels down-gradient of several communities (built with cesspools) are rapidly approaching drinking water (maximum) standards. Those (nitrate) standards are set at levels where "blue baby" syndrome starts showing up...

DOH analysis of groundwaters in lower HPP show pretty clearly that wastewater (from cesspools) is present in drinking water wells. And this is in a community that has massive groundwater flow from a very large mountain to dilute cesspool leakages... For lower groundwater flow areas on the Kona sides of the islands, the problem is greatly amplified.

And nitrate concentrations are not the only problem - for all you pure food fanatics: down-gradient wells are also picking up laundry brighteners, caffeine, blood pressure medications (Warfarin/Coumadin) and a bunch of other pharma products... The residence time of soluble contaminants simply isn't long enough to break down those compounds in cesspools.
What is “ blue baby syndrome “
Insightful geochem,thanks

HPP

HPP
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

What is “ blue baby syndrome “

Courtesy of our google friends: "Blue baby syndrome can also be caused by nitrates in drinking water leading to methemoglobinemia. Nitrates from polluted drinking water form compounds in the body that change haemoglobin to methemoglobin, decreasing the ability of blood to carry oxygen. In infants, the condition can be fatal."

In general, can lead to a host of developmental deficits at and after birth...

Not a desired outcome...
Note it says "(1) Upgraded or converted to a septic system or aerobic treatment unit system".

Last I looked, these things are actually cheaper than installing a septic tank:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sun-Mar-Cent.../203503050