Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Horns and general rudeness
RainyJim is right. But I won't leave like Punarain. I'm a 39 year kamaaina and honking is just fine in Hawaii when warranted. It doesn't have to be only when you think you're going to collide with another vehicle.
For example: When the dumbass in front of you has their head down, obviously texting or reading a text, and the light has turned green and they are oblivious. BEEEEP!!
Just got back from Maui. Looks like you can use left turn only lanes to pass if you go fast enough. Is that a state law now?
Puna: Our roosters crow first

No, just Darwin's law applies, which requires that the pass be completed before the lane peters out and a head on collision occurs.

You know, a large portion of Mauians have been driving like maniacal idiots for at least three decades now. Big Islanders are just recently picking up on this.

Every worsening traffic is our lot in life, unfortunately. Even Mt. Everest has bottlenecks now.

When someone moves elsewhere, whatever the current traffic situation exists then becomes their baseline, so they have no idea how much nicer it used to be.

I don't know, if you want to avoid traffic then maybe head north, somewhere in the high latitudes, like Alaska or Finland.

I'd rather walk or ride a bike when possible, but sometimes you just gotta be somewhere quickly. [Wink]
"For example: When the dumbass in front of you has their head down, obviously texting or reading a text, and the light has turned green and they are oblivious. BEEEEP!!"

I used to do this too, but now I sit there, amused, to see how long it will take them and wonder if it will lead them to an epiphany. Besides, imagine how annoying it is for the people who live near the lights to hear that all day.
imagine how annoying it is for the people who live near the lights to hear that all day.

They chose to live in town, just as some of us chose unpaved "privately owned" roads.
The population is growing worldwide and with that obviously comes more traffic. More traffic and rude people are a part of life in populated places. If someone is about to or just made a lame move that almost killed you, I think using your horn is appropriate or a small honk to get someone moving along when the light turns green if they're distracted. The only other option as someone suggested is to move to a remote place. Your own deserted island? Iceland, Siberia or the Amazon forest? Acceptance may reap patience?

move to a remote place... the Amazon forest?

Trade the occasional blowing car horn for poison arrow blowguns? I've watched enough Indiana Jones movies to say, no thank you.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I think it's illegal to use your horn just to vent your frustration.
If that were the case, and the rule was enforced and tickets given: In a city like New York, millions, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars could be earned by the city, just on those types of driving tickets alone. Beep, cha-ching, beep $ beep$
There's nothing wrong with a friendly beep to tell the guy in front of you whose head is down that the light has changed. I do it, and I almost always get a thank you wave. There's beep and there's HONK!