Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness
We love the rain and cool temps .
Wood heat stove keeps us toasty warm indoors and outdoors no cokui and no mosquitoes .
Extra quilts and layers of cloths .
As for the rain - less helicopters flying back n forth to see the lava and keeps everything green and growing .
It is the onset of winter and snow on the peaks is always welcome visually .The wind chill is another thing entirely .
As we tell new comers to this island when they ask about the rainy season " From Jan 1st to Dec 31st "
Enjoy our diverse seasons and life itself.
Mrs.Mimosa
And add to all that rain our chilly temperatures-- it really will feel like winter!
Freezing?!!!, cold?!!!

You guys kill me!
[8D]
Chas--When people on the mainland say how can you be cold at 68 degrees, I ask what they keep their house temp at. Most keep it at like 72. Don't forget most of us have no heat here and walls are thin, sometimes single wall, and sometimes much colder inside than out. Plus, once you've acclimated to higher/more stable temps, it doesn't take much variation to make you feel the difference. On cold nights -- "cold" being like 65 -- I put on socks and long-pants jammies. It's also a very damp cold.
First rain bands of the upcoming storm are about 60-70 miles south-east of Cape Kumukahi. Nothing dramatic yet but think we're about to go into one of those prolonged very wet periods we get every so often. The latest NWS forecast has more rain potentially heading our way late next week as well but it's a bit uncertain right now.

No snow at the summits right now, but we're expecting some precipitation early Monday morning and through Tuesday. Current temperatures at the summit are not that cold, but it's relative - 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Whether anyone at sea-level will get to see the snow is another matter...
First rain bands are here. Orographic lifting (land and mountains forcing moisture up to higher, colder levels) are intensifying the rain as it hits the island. Another two or three hours before the snow starts at the MK summit is my guess.

If you have A/C or a de-humidifier, time to get them going!
Yay, Blizzard! http://www.eao.hawaii.edu/weather/images/ukirt.jpg
If anybody needs rain.. you are welcome to come to Mt. View with a couple buckets, and take some.
Too bad we can't pipe our extra H2O to Kona.
They probably could pipe it to the leeward side. Under federal funding no less.but no leaders here are smart enough to work the system to get it done.