Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuclear Attack Siren Test, CDC Presentation Jan 16
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

The voice of reason.

I just want them to put back up all the fallout shelter signs.. which really were signs to some of the best lava tubes.

Mackenzie Park Lava Tube traveling mauka under the road comes out at the entrance to an old fallout shelter. We saw the sign under all the foliage growing over it. So true dat.
looks like ya got 14 min and counting g
The SDI was proposed but never happened. To understand the world, it helps to read newspapers.
The Star Wars missile defense initiative from the Reagan administration was in a testing phase back in the early '90's on Maui. The laser was on Haleakal#257;, which they fired at a reflecting satellite, then received and measured the beam in Kihei.

I installed a fire system in the florine or fluoride* waste storage shed. The florine or fluoride (whatever it was) was a waste byproduct of operating the laser. It was one big, honkin' laser. The accuracy was excellent. In the Air Force break room was a photo of the space shuttle at night, which the photographer took by following the shuttle simultaneously with the laser and satellite tracking telescope. He fired the laser at the precise moment he clicked the picture, using the laser as the worlds largest flashbulb to light up the shuttle for a moment. Not a bad shot with the shuttle traveling at around 14,000 mph.

* this toxic substance was held in a large, plastic Rubbermaid garbage can. If the Air Force found Rubbermaid acceptable for toxic waste storage, you know it's good

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The SDI was a success but it was never completed nor do I think it was ever intended to be completed. It was a bluff against the USSR that succeeded in driving them bankrupt and ultimately pushing them towards breakup and a host of complicated secondary effects on our own economy and politics. One local effect is the disappearance of fallout shelters and signs. By the way, there is some collectors value in those old original fallout shelter signs. Incidentally, I don't think a natural unimproved lava tube would be worth poop as a fallout shelter. Too porous. I wonder what they expect you to do if the sirens go off??

HOTPE, I'd love to have seen that laser fire. I've been up at the MLO at night when they fired off their weather laser and even that one is cool as heck.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

The voice of reason.

I just want them to put back up all the fallout shelter signs.. which really were signs to some of the best lava tubes. Or would they become homeless camps now?

Those lava tubes were all destroyed by you hippies from the 70's !
A long time ago now, sometime in the early 80s, The "4-minute warning siren" went off in my hometown. It was around four o'clock in the afternoon and we were all walking home from school.

None of us knew what it was, no parents rushed to save us, everyone just carried on as usual other than the odd comment about the noise. It was only the next day we learned that the siren we all dreaded had gone off by mistake.
NK may have just fired off another ballistic missle:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-north...SKBN1DS2IX
More info.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nor...7466356ac2
I suspect if N. Korea actually launches a missile here that involves a nuclear explosion then we'll get a lot more studies funded.