Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increased land sales and development
If it becomes too much then property prices will go up and you can sell up and go somewhere cheaper. Still plenty of that.

Not in Hawaii, except for out by Ocean View in the middle of bumfck nowhere, in the path of the next lava flow, with no water, and even more psychotic neighbors.
Oh, I see you've been to HOVE.
You can buy 1 acre lots in Mt View for $11,000.
I know everyone here complains bout the transplants - I'm a transplant myself, came 8 years ago from Bay Area - but man, if you go to the mainland, there are tons of places I have lived where you will see MUCH more development and encroachment on rural land. When I go to where I grew up in the outlying DC suburbs of Maryland, I dont' recognize anything anymore. I can only tell from the street names and some few remaining buildings where I am. Once rural roads are now strewn with apartment complexes, etc. It's population. People just keep having babies, who have babies, who have babies. They all need places to live. So I am much more tolerant of development here, bc I've seen it on steroids.
I have seen a similar tale play out almost a dozen times in my lifetime. Nobody survives against the bulldozer, pavement eventually claims all. If you were thinking of buying that empty lot next to you, or even on your 'block', get it now before it's got a house on it.
speak of suing the County about the road situations. I personally am not for this option, as I think the resulting taxes would price me out of my home.

Can you afford the mandatory LID created by HB2570?

Back-of-the-napkin for pavement in Hawaiian Acres: 74 miles of road * $1M/mile buildout, financed as 20-year bond, divided by 4006 lots: approximately $1200/year, not including HELCO pole relocation, County administrative overhead, or "unforeseen" construction costs (such as when it rains), and ignoring the "minimum standard" 60-foot easement.

(As a technicality, County's purchase/seizure of lot frontage would make all the lots "legal nonconforming", zoned A3 but only 2.8 acres. Assumes 10-feet from the front of each lot, of which there are 68 per block. The paperwork costs alone could easily add a couple million in lawyerage.)

Improved roads = higher property taxes (access is valuable).

Paving the subdivisions effectively increases the territory HPD must cover -- either because it's more reachable, or because more people move in -- so property taxes would have to go up again to cover the cost of more police; the same is probably true of the fire department.

When all is said and done, Hawaii will be "just another place".

The economy goes up for 10 years and drops for 10 years - Currently we are 8 and a half years into a upswing in our local economy .In about 2 years when East Hawaii the Island go into an economic tailspin barring any hurricanes ,lava flows or large earthquakes - many recent arrivals will be leaving in droves .Foreclosures and vacant homes will again be the norm .Tax base will shrivel .
Yes true - choke building going on at this time - plenty folks coming from Oahu and Maui and retirees from mainland .Just a few short years and the local economy will crash .
We have met many out of state recent arrivals in the last year .Many of them buying homes or vacant land and building - totally unaware of the local ways - and the number ONE grumble is the cost is so high of everything .

As kalakoa stated so well >>> When all is said and done, Hawaii will be "just another EXPENSIVE place". <<<
Mrs.Mimosa
Can you afford the mandatory LID created by HB2570? . . . approximately $1200 per year . . . "

As I read HB2570, the LID is by no means mandatory. Although it would be one option available if a majority of owners vote to turn their road maintenance over to the county, the wording of the bill states that such an tax district would be for "repair and maintenance of subdivision roads" and not construction of paved roads.
As I read HB2570, the LID is by no means mandatory.

Except for the part where it can be established by court order...

such an tax district would be for "repair and maintenance of subdivision roads" and not construction of paved roads

Point being: HB2570 is vague. Pavement would be a valid "repair", especially as one of the stated goals is "to improve emergency response".

Fortunately, we can always follow HPP's fine example and spend money on lawsuits instead of roads.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

speak of suing the County about the road situations. I personally am not for this option, as I think the resulting taxes would price me out of my home.

Can you afford the mandatory LID created by HB2570?

Back-of-the-napkin for pavement in Hawaiian Acres:

Does the bill specify paving roads? I thought it was just repair, which to my understanding would be cinder. Can't imagine those 74 miles ever being all paved.