Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SB2567 Cesspool upgrade required for house sales
quote:
Originally posted by tweez

180 days is not realistic - Start to finish, ours took 9 months and we started the process immediately upon closing.

I'm curious why it took so long. Mine took less than a week.
Isn't 20K a bit over the top as well?
Mine was about $7000, including the required engineer's stamp. Contractor was also licensed as required.
This is a statewide bill, so prices will vary. $7000 sounds like a new install, not a decommission and install where you have established landscapes.
But if you don't sell...your still grandfathered until 2050 before having to upgrade!
Yes, new install, my mistake.
$12,000.00 to put in a new septic system that meets the latest requirements . That included cleaning out and filling the cesspool !

Our water association has been requiring new subscribers to upgrade for several years.We forced 5 conversions last month.
Was that price for a "standard" (tank, leach lines) or for a pressure dose system (holding tank, pump, timer, leach lines)?

Community begins with Aloha
The costs associated with this bill makes it pretty hard for local people to compete with outside buyers. If you have to sell a house that needs an upgrade and you're buying one that needs an upgrade, that's a lot of extra price differences between someone coming in from out of state. As anyone knows these fees get taken out of somewhere, either the buyer or the seller or both. If the buyer pays, they are probably going to pay less for the house. If the seller pays, they are going to have to list at a the market price and take a hit. It's a complicated scenario to deal with. Considering Puna has the most sales in all of Hawaii, we'll be impacted the most and we have very little representation power on Oahu.
Yet another problem created by County's approval of "fake farming" subdivisions -- if only there were some way to hold them accountable.