Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snails!
Just out of curiosity, did you do anything to eradicate rats before the snails got worse?
I love the bucket o' fertilizer method, EW!
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

Hey Geochem: I think it's the ratlung disease that produces the condition eosinophilic meningitis.

Also, when you said: "you just stomp on them", I would advise against that.
Sure kill the buggers but these giant African snails will use up their last bit of energy and produce hundreds of eggs if you simply step on them and crush their shell. Sure they die from the stomp but you can do an experiment for yourself and see. Crush one, then come back a month or two later to discover a ton of visible little eggs all under the shell pieces.
I use a bucket of fertilizer. (potassium salts) In they go to their salty death. No eggs produced. They become part of the fertz treatment after that.

And after the eggs hatch, the squashed mother's guts is "protein" that serves as food for the young snails. Don't just crush them.
Another reason stomping them is not advised is if they are carrying RLW then other snails/slug will crawl over them and become carriers, plus, they serve a tasty treat for rats, who then become carriers. I keep a jug of salt water and tongs dedicated to sending snails and slugs to meet their maker.
I just read that iron phosphate, the active ingredient in Sluggo, is only 49% effective on African snails. That explains a lot. I put it out every night and every morning it's gone, but if I don't put it out, my plants get eaten so I know they're still around. I also prowl around with a flashlight and don't see any snails or slugs. Can't catch 'em if I can't see 'em. Can't do beer--my dog drinks it even if I try to hide it from him. I really don't want to use poison because the rats eat the snails and the cats eat the rats. Any other suggestions?
Certainty will be the death of us.
I also heard that the invasive African snail, which is now just running rampant throughout Puna, was initially brought here, intended for human consumption as escargot. Couldn't find anything to corroborate that tho.
They are thought of as delicacies in some countries. I tried some once in college in my French class. They did taste good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj5lfTWV7_U Wow! These African snail can really grow big!

Some of these other youtube clips make the snails look so tasty!

That gives me a business idea.
1.) Raise your own snails. (shouldn't be hard, just collect a few, crush them on various places of your property and each crush should produce hundreds of eggs)
2.) In a few months they should be everywhere, grow some plants for them to eat or just collect dog poop and other manure. ( I find them eating that stuff often, they seem to like feces as much as plants)
3.) Gather, prepare and cook.
4.) Maybe bottle them up. Sealed and cooked, soaking in brine of olive oil, garlic, salt, rosemary and maybe other herbs.
5.) Market and sell as exotic Hawaiian escargot.