Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air conditioners and Amazon - 3 un/related topics
He probably doesn't live here. Just another crazy mainlander telling us how bad he thinks it is here.
another crazy mainlander

Yes, no doubt watching some sensationalistic cable news channel, then trolling us because he thinks the 2000 degree lava is making it so hot - - that we all need air conditioners.
When in reality, after walking over slightly cooled pahoehoe all day I'm managing just fine with a tube of shoe glue & roll of duct tape, affixing the soles of my shoes back onto the tops, ready for another day, thank you very much.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The rain is cooling the lava where I live and can walk on it right after it flows here. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

And I can't insult terracore anymore. He's just about the most respected person here, so Rob, I changed my mind about banning him. But please keep him on a leash. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

The rain is cooling the lava where I live and can walk on it right after it flows here. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

And I can't insult terracore anymore. He's just about the most respected person here, so Rob, I changed my mind about banning him. But please keep him on a leash. Wink

[:0] Terracore is the most respected person in Hawai'i?! Why isn't he elected mayor of Hawai'i County, then?

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
One day, when you grow up, you'll understand.
What will I understand, Mr. Snippy Pants?

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Sigh...
This thread is so enlightening, except... I need some of that shoe glue, can you give me the 411? And does it work on blown out slippahs too?
This is the air conditioner I wound up purchasing. I selected it because it's energy efficiency and more specifically it's running wattage is about 575 watts and within the realm of my 'extra' solar power I have in full sun. It's not going to cool a whole house, but it should increase comfort if the house is closed up due to bad air. Also the 3-year extended warranty was only 6 dollars. On some of the other similar models they wanted over $20 for an extended warranty. If you only want to cool a single room, this model should be able to keep it cold.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQ8A70C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=pw016-20&linkId=0f151504c646a6977a121002d58f24b2

Unfortunately, after I ordered that I found a model that is probably better. It's about $30 more with the extended warranty, looks like it dehumidifies better, and actually has a lower running wattage (and a remote control):

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Energy-Window-Mounted-Conditioner-Control/dp/B071K8R8QC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1527359389&sr=8-4&keywords=ENERGY+STAR+6,000+BTU&linkCode=ll1&tag=pw016-20&linkId=2a503e6e48ce2fd3f51615a0a1b0fc17

The one time I wanted to cancel an amazon order is the first time they shipped it almost immediately after I placed the order! Oh well.

One thing I found when doing my research is that some of these cheap window units actually use the same amount of power on "low" settings as they do on "high" settings. Some units actually use MORE power on the low settings. Fortunately I have a watt meter to help guide me on it's use.

ETA: I contacted Amazon and they are having the carrier return the first air conditioner to them and waived the shipping charges on the Whirlpool unit. Since it is under 500 watts it will be easier on my solar system.
being married to terracore, this thread gave me quite the chuckle.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com