Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vacation rentals (still)
Everybody we know that stays on the East side of the island that didn't stay with us (bless them) has stayed in an AirBnB or VRBO property. Coincidentally enough, always in HPP. I've seen 3 of these properties and they are beautiful. Nothing builder grade about them and with a pool and/or AC and usually for around $100/night for a big home a family can spread out in.

When we moved here we stayed at one in Volcano for 2 nights. It was a nice custom home on a damp/dark secluded lot and was an outstanding value, allowing us to spend our money in that beautiful damp hamlet.
this hostility to having vacation rentals on Ag land

Conflating issues, again: it's really a hostility to anything which requires an SUP (which is to say, anyone starting their own business, which might not make money "in the right way").
"Vacation rentals in agricultural areas could especially be affected, because state land use law dictates that all dwellings on land in the state land use agricultural district are deemed farm dwellings and visitor accommodations are not allowed, except for the first dwelling on lots created before June 4, 1976. Tribune Herald 8/4/18

Does that mean all of Puna's Ag subdivisions are exempt?
The June 4, 1976 date is from HRS 205, so all of Puna's Ag subdivisions established before then are allowed to have single-family dwellings, but would need to apply for a non-conforming permit to run a vacation rental due to the Ag zoning. I haven't been able to keep track of the grandfathering provision discussed previously, maybe someone (Punatic007?) can say how that exactly would work? Sounds like they may be grandfathered in (based on the Director's discretion - cue kalakoa Wink

http://files.hawaii.gov/luc/docs/hrs_chapter205_web.pdf
From that HTH article:
"That means each vacation rental within the agriculture boundary on land rezoned since 1976 must be handled on a case-by-case basis through a special use permit, Deputy Planning Director Daryn Arai told the County Council earlier this summer."
It's starting to sound to me like most of Puna will be okay, as BillyB suggested.

ETA: No, strike that, I think ironyak is right.
SUPs are notoriously difficult to get (unless you happen to know someone) so this just gives the County the ability to once again grant special privileges to the near and dear. Second verse, same as the first...
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

The June 4, 1976 date is from HRS 205, so all of Puna's Ag subdivisions established before then are allowed to have single-family dwellings, but would need to apply for a non-conforming permit to run a vacation rental due to the Ag zoning. I haven't been able to keep track of the grandfathering provision discussed previously, maybe someone (Punatic007?) can say how that exactly would work? Sounds like they may be grandfathered in (based on the Director's discretion - cue kalakoa Wink

http://files.hawaii.gov/luc/docs/hrs_chapter205_web.pdf

It's a joke, council members have been suggesting all types of hoops for us to jump thru such as:

$250 to $500 yearly renewall fee(what other small business has this?)
Re-apply every year, wait for determination, then pay fee.
To re-apply furnish all financials to new committee that regulates us.(once again what other small businesses do this?)
And lots of lovely penalties such as $20K fine and liens on your house suggested by the lovely Jennifer Ruggles.
In other words maybe we get to be grandfathered in and maybe not. Who wants to be in business in limbo?

Prejudicial?

Problem is people are not educated in the larger picture in this issue. They watch on the news of a vacation rental party gone wild and assume all are like this. On the contrary, almost all successful vacation rentals prohibit parties, yes it's in my contract. VR's are often more attractive than regular rentals, I keep mine hotel quality attractive, which brings up the property values in neighborhood.

There are no barking dogs there, no loud week-end projects, just nature loving travelers that the neighbors don't even notice. They make perfect neighbors! And furnish a moderate income to local residents.

There's a piece of the larger picture but let me also include my guests frequent the local restaurants, Uncle Roberts, tour boats, massage therapists and much much more because I sent them there, we all do. We also hire repairmen to keep things tip top, housekeepers and lawn service. We hugely support local businesses.

I'm beginning to think someone(s) pushing this bill in the county council is getting a pay off from the hotels. Why else why it would be so pressing to pass a bill having a huge detrimental effect on the local economy be following so close to an unprecedented lava flow and 2 hurricanes? Why aren't they working getting the Leilani people taken care of instead? How about the vacation rental owners in Leilani? These owners are not rich in most cases. Often times living in rentals just trying to get ahead to move into the VR at some point as home. Lots of folks getting royally screwed now.
The destruction of dozens of VRs in Kapoho apparently wasn't enough, they want them all gone! Yes, I assume it's the hotel lobby, I don't often hear people complaining about vacation rentals in their neighborhood around here. hardly anybody wants parties in their VR.
I would rather have a vacation rental on both sides of my house, than folks who own roosters, barking dogs on short chains, screaming children and fighting parents at all hours of the day and night, garbage all over the yards, drug users, junk vehicles in the yard....

Our council is out of control.