Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No new building will be allowed in Leilani.
Senator Kahele wants to find out ...

Meaningless noise: no "action" suggested, merely a "would like to know".

Insult to injury: Kahele is a lawmaker, he should have some knowedge of the laws, and probably has access to a really nice library where he could look it up.

they'll find a way to extract their money

Yes: they take pictures with planes that they fly over everything, then analyze them to discover structures that have been built/enlarged over time. Valuation is then assigned for tax purposes -- whether or not permits were filed.

If County then accepts your payment of the assessed taxes, they have implicitly approved of the building...
I think the availability of insurance, however expensive, caused some people to build or buy there who wouldn't have otherwise.

By George, I think he's got it.
Concrete tent.
Semi permanent.
Ships folded so low transportation costs.
Can be set up in a day.
Camouflage colored, so hard to spot by County from the air.
(might need some after-market windows for ventilation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb1pdvvoVoQ
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
What about Lanipuna Gardens? When can I start rebuilding?
Much to my surprise, apparently insurance renewals are being offered in Leilani, although the rate is about 10% higher, and volcanic eruption is an enumerated, covered peril on our policy. I'm sorry to disappoint some people that we won't all be foreclosed for lack of coverage. Private market as well, not some state pool.

My friends who bought a condo on the beach front in Panama City are so much more intelligent and responsible than those of us who bought in Lava Zone 1. Which event(s) will be viewed as a bigger problem to the insurance industry?

Of course I would not have bought if insurance wasn't available because then I could not have secured financing. Now over the course of the last 6 years we've paid like $20,000 in insurance premiums (plus another like $2500 in mandated but useless hurricane insurance). So in like 60 years we'll pretty much have paid the cost of the place in premiums (yes, I know not accounting for net present value, etc). Odds are in Leilani, on any given lot you will go several times that before getting wiped out. Kinda on the same order of time as house in tornado alley is likely to meet it's EF-4 or EF-5.

Yes, a lot of folks just lost that bet. Couldda been me, but then it might not have been them. People who do not want any rebuilding in lower Puna - what is your motivation, simply to deny others a chance to live as they see fit? Or is it to allow others who have their development plans elsewhere to line their own pockets and allow crooked banana-republic politicians to enrich themselves in the process?

Just want to be left alone to live my deplorable life, and pay my bills and excessive taxes.

Benny
Benny
Before actually moving here we vacationed 3 times on BI.
The 3rd vacation was actually a scouting trip to decide where we wanted to live.
We chose to concentrate on HPP and LE.
They appeared to come the closest to what we thought we wanted for living conditions.

Our primary consideration was that we could buy a home and land for less than it would cost to rent the equivalent.
And, the cost would be stable.
We wouldn't be subject to the whims of a landlord.

We assumed we would end up in HPP, but were ecstatic that we found what we wanted in LE.
We were aware that it was in LZ1.
We knew what the chances were, that we might lose everything to a lava flow.
But, that's true for everywhere on a volcanic island.
In spite of that, we were willing to gamble that it would not happen in our life time.
at the time, it seemed to be a reasonable risk.

The land in LZ1 is covered approximately every 750 years and it had been 200+ years since the location of our home was last covered.
We still had 500 years on our clock.
In spite of what has happened, we still consider ourselves to be winning our bet.
Our home and property are still intact and livable.
In fact, we consider the recent events have reset our clock back to 750 years.

What we did not expect is for a county government to have designs on our home.
That is intolerable.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
1V1, I've posted my own math on the topic before, similar story but was my 5th trip when we decided to buy a place. I pushed for lava zone 3 or greater, she wanted to be in Leilani (restrictions on farm animals, some modest requirements for building, more quiet and less shady activity). My own calculation was more focused on having more time than my own lifespan until we were likely to be covered. In retrospect the gun was way more loaded than I thought. With respect to 30 - 40 years on the outside of personal lifespan left, I am cautiously optimistic of having a paid for property to enjoy some retirement time, and likely leave to the kids, or sell-off when memories of active eruption have faded.

I told my significant other that our greatest risk was not geological, but political. I stand by that and it gets more apparent every day. The geological risk is not insignificant, but the political risk is nearly certain to occur - some okole is going to try to take what we have to enhance the value of their own holdings. They will use fear and some misplaced sense of paternalism that they are "protecting us from ourselves" and made-up fears (looting, etc) and lies ("mainlanders running up our property costs and not paying their fair share") to rile up others.

The Generalissimo and county government are getting intolerable. Sadly its hard to see a viable alternative merging.

Benny
Benny
I think you are underestimating the hazard in Leilani.This is from the USGS :

"Zone 1-Includes summits and rift zones of Kilauea and Mauna Loa, where vents have been repeatedly active in historical time."

Lava zone 2 is where they talk about 750 years.

"Zone 2-Areas adjacent to and downslope of zone 1. Fifteen to twenty-five percent of zone 2 has been covered by lava since 1800, and 25 to 75 percent has been covered within the past 750 years. Relative hazard within zone 2 decreases gradually as one moves away from zone 1 "

The steam vents near highway 130 are an indication that activity is close by.I thought I was pretty safe in my Kapoho neighborhood because we were some distance from zone 1 and it was relatively flat.We also had the Kapoho cone and thought that would offer some protection.
We never imagined the volume of lava and the course it took.

Trying my luck with lava zone 3 from Mauna Loa this time.All of Hilo will be gone when it gets to me.
Legal advice for county to planning is reasonable - hold off while pending litigation. Thats the trend from state legislature in past year. Anything that is in legal state of flux should be prevented from being approved, denied, changed in value one way or the other. Fortunately due to May volcanic activity, there wasnt time for state to write, hear, re write and approve a custom Bill for new legislation. Trends shown throughout the past session:proposal, hearing, passage of other legislation like House Bill 1614:Automatic Restraining Orders (Act 213) indicates a clear mindset of “put everything on hold until courts finalize a determination”.
Im not defending one side or other here, only sharing evidence of mindset from state.
Not everything coming from our county offices is of their own invention, in fact.
Blaming, name calling, assumption of finality could be misplaced.
Posts here clearly show noobs, FOBs, do NOT “get” volcanology!
Its not a mathmatical statistics problem from high school. (Number of flows per hundreds of years, what are my chances in next hundred...LOL)
Remember the controversy over Lava Zone designations update of 1991?
Albeit the duty was to only to inform, present data as requested. Noone else can be responsible for use and misuse of data.

Most common threads in lava zone 1- people really do NOT assimilate lava zone risk, or dont do homework to learn where the flows of 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and since have been geographically and pragmatically.
County as always will be damned by many regardless of action.

When people desire anyone else to be accountable for their choices, they’ll screaming loudly
B/c someone else made a suggestion.
Easy solution.
When people desire anyone else to be accountable for their choices, they’ll screaming loudly

Such as when County approves building permits and State creates an "assigned risk" pool so that insurance is available?