Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Hilo Store Bites the Dust
Whole Paycheck is cheaper than Island Naturals especially since Amazon bought it and WF could also do grocery delivery.

https://delivery.wholefoodsmarket.com
Whole Paycheck is cheaper than Island Naturals

If you have a car, yes.
a great location for a Whole Foods

After Island Naturals moved out of their former location in Hilo, the current Walgreens on Makaala St, Down to Earth, an Oahu and Maui based natural food store tried to make a go of it in that location. They hoped they would pick up Island Natural's old customer base out of habit, same storefront, similar product line. It didn't work and an employee I spoke to said there wasn't enough market share for an additional natural food store. At that time.

Have things changed? Has the population in East Hawaii increased substantially? Are more people eating natural foods?

Here's another possibility. Our Senator, sells his three Island Natural locations to Whole Foods. One party to the deal gets an instant customer base, the other, a hefty retirement portfolio. If that happens, take some Whole Foods/Amazon stock with the cash Russel. I'm still kicking myself for not buying Amazon a few years back at 1/4 it's current value because analysts concurred there was no room for expansion. I would have been better advised by a monkey and a dartboard.

Then - - Whole Foods with it's new captive, capitalistically kidnapped customer base expands into the old Sears location. If Trader Joes doesn't beat them to it.

"I want great climate, we’re going to have that.” President Donald J. Trump, while viewing the massive wildfire devastation 11/17/18. (The J stands for Jenius)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I'm guessing that that Sears location will either sit empty or become an indoor swap meet/antiques mall.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Add to Robs suggestion--how about the new location of the Hilo Farmers market integrated into that with a stage for music.

Community begins with Aloha
WIth a tasting bar serving up all the Big Island microbrews.

I went to Sears yesterday and picked up a 165 piece Craftsman tool set that was originally $209.99 on sale for $72.99.
Bought a new weedwacker from Sears on Saturday regularly $159.00.... sold for $60.00 and they didn't ask me for an extended warranty. That right there was a dead giveaway that they're not going to be open much longer.
The article didn't say that the store was closing. It said that these stores in Hawaii are still profitable and that selling them off would assist in the Sear's re-org plan. Now I'm not going to deny that Sears is in trouble nationally. But in Hawaii, they still manage to bring in customers. For now at least.
Here's an update..Sears has "no current plans" to close the Hawaii stores, but they are among those to be auctioned off, with bids due in the coming weeks

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/11/27...ii-stores/