Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 confirmed in Hawaii: 607+ cases 16 deaths
County Parks maintenance crew out disinfecting public sites commonly visited by cruise ship passengers. Hey, it's acknowledging the situation and doing something at least - unlikely to make much of a difference now, but color me surprised!
https://twitter.com/MayorHarryKim/status...7550728192
Second person tests positive - press conference at 5pm
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/03/09...se-covid-/

Elderly resident on Oahu, not related to first case. He had recent travel to Washington state. Illness onset was in Washington around Mar 2nd, flew back to Hawaii on Mar 4th, went to local hospital via ambulance on Mar 7, tested positive today. DOH doing contact tracing.

No cases of local community transmission found yet.
Can someone explain what a "presumptive positive" means? Does it mean that further tests are required after the initial test to confirm it?
So this person got sick in Washington State (epidemic hotbed) on 2 March, presumably with the well known symptoms of corona, and then decided to get on a plane home to Hawaii on 4 March. Then off to the hospital via ambulance on 7 March, presumed positive for corona 8 March. Can this idiot be charged with criminal stupidity? Or at least reckless endangerment? Oh, wait. We're in Hawaii. If we put people in jail for criminal stupidity, there wouldn't be anyone to run the government. Never mind.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Can someone explain what a "presumptive positive" means? Does it mean that further tests are required after the initial test to confirm it?

Right. CDC has to confirm initial test.

Damn, that second guy was really an inconsiderate dick for exposing others when sick at that date. The coronavirus was all over the news by then.
Presumptive positive means that the person tested postive at a state lab, but the result needs to be confirmed by the CDC. However all actions, such as isolation, are taken as if the perosnis postive. As more private labs come online and the caseload ramps up, this confirmation by the CDC will likely drop.

Another wrinkle in the man's path is that he went to Urgent Care when he got back but for whtever reason he was not referred for testing then. Is a big question why?
Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

Second person tests positive - press conference at 5pm
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/03/09...se-covid-/

Elderly resident on Oahu, not related to first case. He had recent travel to Washington state. Illness onset was in Washington around Mar 2nd, flew back to Hawaii on Mar 4th, went to local hospital via ambulance on Mar 7, tested positive today. DOH doing contact tracing.

No cases of local community transmission found yet.

Just watched the two news clips of the press conference for the second Hawaiian resperitory case.
Not all that much information was given.
Not all that much is actually being done.
Even if there is not all that much to be done.
Not all that many reassurances taken from it.

That person was sick before they left Wash. on the 2nd.
The person went to a primary care facility on the 4th.
The person was transported to a hospital on the 7th.

That person is described as being "elderly", and "very seriously" ill.
They have been infectious for at least the 5 days of their illness before being hospitalized and quarantined, possibly longer than that, if some of the speculations are correct.
My faith in humanity and human nature gives me very little trust in the effectiveness of self-imposed quarantine.

They say they're looking at those in the row, the two in front, and the two in back of where the sick person was seated.
Foe a normal 6 seats per row aircraft, that is only 30 people they consider potentially could be infected, more if it was a wide body or an even larger "cattle car" type aircraft.
How many have been dispersed to the other islands since?
It could be coming to your town soon.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
It could well be that the elderly Oahu patient would not have been covered if he'd gone to the hospital in Washington.
The health care system could make this whole thing a lot worse.
I'd rather be in a mainland hospital if I was seriously ill, even if I had to make payments later. At least there would be a later.