Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Air expands operations to Kona International Airport
Iju, were your packages part of an Amazon Prime free shipping deal?
They have their own planes now, it seems like we should soon see their own delivery trucks? Amazon Air >> Amazon Ground
I'm in Ohio right now and all of my Prime deliveries have been finished off by the USPS
In an unusual display of common sense, the Hilo Airport post office installed a bunch of additional parcel lockers all along the front of the building. In theory this should reduce the amount of time people spend standing in line to get their packages, as well as reduce the amount of USPS staff interactions with the public.

Whether the timing of these lockers showing up at the same time Amazon Air starts servicing the island, I don't know. I wonder if any of the other POs are getting additional parcel lockers?
Now all I have to do is ... drive to Hilo.

I don't suppose they installed a second automatic postage machine, sometimes "the only one" is broken.
(08-08-2020, 04:28 PM)ChunksterK Wrote: Iju, were your packages part of an Amazon Prime free shipping deal?
Yes, I have Amazon Prime and the two packages are free shipping.
(08-09-2020, 01:33 AM)kalakoa Wrote: Now all I have to do is ... drive to Hilo.

I don't suppose they installed a second automatic postage machine, sometimes "the only one" is broken.

I print all my postage online and skip the line / broken machines. I'm not sure how it works but I get a discount by using free paypal account:

https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

I use orangemailer for regular first class (non package) mail. Their free account doesn't have good rates for packages but charges regular USPS rates for stuff like letters, postcards, etc and you can print postage straight onto envelopes:

http://orangemailer.co/

If not using first class or flat-rate boxes and mailing out of state, FedEx is cheaper if you have an affinity to a group with negotiated rates, packages get there faster, and don't arrive all banged up.
Waiting for Amazon to build out a network of package depot locations where people can pick stuff up. Macy*s is about to go bankrupt, they have locations nationwide, generally with loading docks... would make a great install base of warehouses with retail front.

You may not have to wait much longer:

Malls across the US — struggling to stay in business as shoppers increasingly turn to e-commerce — could soon be transformed into Amazon fulfillment centers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amazon-report...00324.html
More news on the Post Office, often the last leg for Amazon shipping in Hawaii and elsewhere:

Trump said that negotiations on additional coronavirus relief funding are at an impasse in part because Democrats want to give billions of dollars to support the U.S. Postal Service and mail-in voting efforts.
“They need that money in order to have the Post Office work" Trump said in a Fox Business interview Thursday morning. “But if they don’t get those two items that means you can’t have universal mail-in voting, because they’re not equipped to have it.”

“If we don’t make a deal, that means they don’t get the money, that means they can’t have universal mail-in voting. They just can’t have it,” Trump said. “Sort of a crazy thing. Very interesting.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/trump-re...oting.html

Remember, Hawaii already has effective, safe mail-in voting.  Our recent primary election demonstrated that.  So any financial decisions which slow down operations at the Post Office only hamper and delay the rest of your mail from arriving in a timely manner.
“Hawaii already has effective, safe mail-in voting. “

So that means the cost of that are already accounted for, therefore the post office in Hawaii doesn’t need the additional funding?
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!