Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thep Thai Cuisine and other Puna Kai restaurants
Drove through PK shops. Curious as to the hold up (besides the general downturn of business). Why doesn’t supermarket move in? And then Popeyes? (of course, really want to know this question). Is it the Building? Business?
Rumor has it Malama isn't moving until their current lease expires. I can hardly wait to see who moves into their old space, or what happens to the old shopping center. Will the gas station close because there's a new one right next door? Hilarity ensues.

Entirely possible that Popeye's isn't bothering to open until Malama moves. The Popeye's suite still has a dirt floor, no fixtures, so no commitment, they could easily walk away at this point.

Coco Cantina is supposed to be open on the 28th. The menu features vegetarian entrees and includes quinoa. There will be an assortment of bottled beers in addition to the draft selection.

I suspect the slow-to-open is just the usual County permitting/inspecting process -- while the shopping center is all-new fully-compliant class-A retail space, it's probably not owned by the "right" people. Side effects include truly awful timing on the new traffic light.

Looking further down the road ... there's an undeveloped parcel between the two shopping centers, now prime for development because it's surrounded. At the rate things are doing I probably won't live long enough to see the groundbreaking.
Wasn't Del's/Tractor Supply Co. going to move in to old Malama when they move?
Certainty will be the death of us.
They moved into the old Safeway in Hilo. I would hurt myself attempting a cartwheel if they moved to Pahoa.

I had heard (I thought here on PW) that the Ace next to Malama was considering moving to the larger old Malama.

I've communicated with both Orchidland General Store (formerly Orchidland True Value) and the Ace in Pahoa that if they ordered specific livestock products that we would buy them, and they both gave us excuses on why we wouldn't buy from them. One would think that they would enjoy some guaranteed purchases (I offered to pre-pay for them) but their money allergies are strong. For awhile I was able to get around Ace's money allergy by ordering online and using "ship to store" but the last several times I looked that was no longer an option. I guess I understand the Orchidland location, since most of their purchases are beer/wine. No risk of receiving moldy feed there.
If Ace expands into the Malama space, I'll hurt myself attempting a cartwheel!
Certainty will be the death of us.
Sorry, just skimmed the thread. Is Ace selling Thai food now?
No, but the new Thai place has food that tastes like livestock feed.
And you SHEEPLE will eat it up! Jet fuel doesn't melt steel masks and Puna Kai shops are just a front for a FEMA detention camp, WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S FENCED IN? When you're detained that's all you'll have to eat, POPEYES IS A LIE!!

Ok,thread scrambled, where did I put my meds?
At one point Coco Cantina was "projected" to open June 1.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...ges-order/

Most recent estimate (per the owner) was yesterday, September 28. It certainly looks ready: fully furnished and stocked, menus printed...

Despite having a website (with posted hours) and a Google listing (which claims they're open right now), the latest estimate is "sometime in October".

I guess County has all the tax revenue they need, and we don't have to allow more businesses?
It's not part of Puna Kai....but close.... and didn't want to start a new thread for just a quick critique of our first trip to a restaurant. We went to Luquins today for the first time in it's new location (yea....we don't get out much). They were open for dine in and take. We opted for take out this time and were pleasantly surprised how good the food was. We both had the enchilada plate with shredded beef and the usual bowl of very tasty taco chips and homemade salsa . The dining area already had 3 couples (socially distanced) having lunch at 11am. They have a nice bar and glass windows all around. We will both come back and dine in next time.