Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sears in Hilo to close
Is the auto center closing too? They installed the tires sold on Amazon.
(02-02-2021, 08:57 PM)terracore Wrote: Is the auto center closing too?  They installed the tires sold on Amazon.

They closed and sold all the equipment a while ago.
(02-02-2021, 09:15 PM)Obie Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 08:57 PM)terracore Wrote: Is the auto center closing too?  They installed the tires sold on Amazon.

They closed and sold all the equipment a while ago.
Hilo Sears feels like another old friend I'm losing.  I shopped there since 1989 and I'll miss it.
An old friend that said they would hook you up, but always ended up charging you way too much...
It's the end of an era. When I was a kid, we bought lotsa stuff at Sears. When my daughter was a kid, I don't think we ever went in there.

The Sears catalog... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGClMQeV4M
The big question becomes where the hell is everyone going to get appliances now??? They stocked tons of appliances in their warehouse that you could pick up the same day. I’ve ended up with most of my appliances from there because of emergency replacements. Now when a fridge or washer dies, you’ll have to go to Home Depot and hope your order comes in six weeks! Or buy one of the three items they have in stock. I am not looking forward to that mess!
Lowes in Kona stocks quite a few refrigerators. Drove over and picked one up in December.
They deliver over here but I would have had to wait weeks.
I went to Sears today. Almost all of their appliances, tools, and garden stuff gone. The few items that were left "clearance price" wasn't any more discount than what a regular sale would be.

Best deal I saw was 30% off a snow blower. They had two left in stock. I think this sort of summarizes why they are going out of business.
Best deal I saw was 30% off a snow blower. 

Sounds like they’re offering a “Mauna Kea Summit Special.”  
Hilo Sears is (was) about 75000 square feet.

The smallest Costco is 73000 square feet. (That's about half the size of an "average" Costco.)

It could work, but it's unlikely, I doubt Costco would want to tithe PKP.