Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sears in Hilo to close
No shock there. It's been going down hill for years. Although the liquidation sales will be worth checking out. It's also going to be tough to fill that large space.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/02/02...se-hawaii/
I’ll miss Sears.  I didn’t go there often in recent years, but in their heyday the Craftsmen tools were money well spent, as were the Kenmore appliances.  The Kenmore dryer I bought in 1999 is still going strong.  They had a good selection of TV’s too.

Growing up, I remember well the giant Sears Christmas catalog that arrived every autumn.  My sisters and I always anticipated it’s arrival.  Whoever carried it in from the mailbox had first dibs perusing the toy section.  The Montgomery Ward and JC Penny catalogs were fun to look through too, but there was nothing like Sears & Roebuck.

Fun fact:  Radio station WLS in Chicago was started by Sears in 1924.  It was one of the first high power stations in the Midwest, I could pick up their signal from 100+ miles away.  The call letters, WLS stood for World’s Largest Store.
I listened to WLS late at night in eastern Ohio.
I had never bought a major appliance anywhere else until last December.

I can't imagine what they have left to liquidate except for the fixtures. They have been selling tools for amazing prices for quite awhile. I bought a 5 piece 3/8 " drive extension bar set that was originally $28.00 last month. I paid $7.00. The store was pretty empty the last time I was in there.

Craftsman tools will live on, now sold at Lowes and ACE.
We had a Sears in-ground pool when I was growing up. It was installed in 1958. It is still in use today.

They used to sell houses too.
That’s a large, prime location to go empty. What could replace it? Is it too small for a Costco or will Bezos move in?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/11/business/...index.html
Given the minimum 2-year lead time to open a new business in an existing (and correctly-zoned) location, my bet is that it will sit empty.
Isn’t Sears considered the anchor store for the mall? Macy’s might not be around much longer either...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/06/macys-m-...-list.html

If they don’t get another retailer there, the future of Prince Kuhio Plaza doesn’t look all that good. Plus the theater is closed because of Covid. Most of their traffic now is mall walkers doing laps.
" . . . the future of Prince Kuhio Plaza doesn’t look all that good."

The mall concept of retailing has been in decline for some time, and it is accelerating due to Covid:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/10/a-third-...iffen.html

" . . . or will Bezos move in?"

Well, "micro fulfillment centers" seems to be a thing for repurposing malls, along with medical care and charter schools:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/business/...index.html
a thing for repurposing malls   

This being Hawaii Island, the state or county government could convert yet another mall into offices, except this time pace themselves, and take over one shuttered business at a time.  Put in some desks, computer monitors, phones, and don't forget official looking forms, then hire the relatives of current government employees.  Even if  the workers did nothing, it wouldn't be much different then the paper sliding and shuffling at the real estate tax office 50 weeks out of the year, excluding the one week prior to each of the two property tax due deadlines. Walk in there during the "off season" sometime.  It looks like after school detention in junior high school, except for a lack of spit balls.
" . . . then hire the relatives of current government employees." - HOTPE

Yes, and then they'd move all those new "essential employees" to the top of the Covid vaccine waiting list . . . except for the fact that the pandemic would likely be over or under control by the time the usual well connected and overpriced contractors got the mall space ready for the county. The change orders, delays, and cost overruns for such matters usually drag on for years.

I know exactly what you mean about the real estate tax office. I went in there a few years ago in response to a notice, and there were three workers at or very near the front desk doing nothing. I stood there expecting to be recognized, but instead they gave each other (and me) stink eye until one of them finally asked me what I wanted. It turned out that my concern was something that had automatically been done without informing me. When I told them I hadn't been informed, I got rolling eyes and more stink eye from all three.

Now that I've totally hijacked this thread, I'll refocus and say that I'll really miss the old version of the Sears appliance department. I made several purchases there from good natured, helpful, and knowledgeable salespersons. Stark contrast to Home Depot.