Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renewing our drivers licenses in Covid Pahoa
"TSA will delay the Real ID compliant drivers license for air travel until 2023. Hopefully by then Hawaii County will follow Honolulu and allow those of us who renewed our licenses with all of the Real ID requirements but without the star to update And replace our license online. "

Don't count on the county making anything easy.

After the eruption we had no mailing address for a while. We had to change our address with utilities and banks and then wait for a letter to come to the new address so we could use those bills as verification.

Lucky it was pre covid and only took several hours at the DMV and multiple visits over several months.
Don't count on the county making anything easy.

Pointless busywork is how they justify their salaries.
DHS announced Tuesday it is extending the REAL ID full enforcement date by 19 months, from October 1, 2021, to May 3, 2023.
It's weird to think of all the people that will no longer be able to travel by air. It wasn't just American hippies that moved to Hawaii in the 70's and 80's.
Well I misunderstood the process and thought I couldn't book appointment until 30 days before expiration.

That is not the case, you can only book an appointment date/time that is within 30 days of expiration, but you can schedule that appointment months before then.

So because I waited, my license expires in June but the soonest appointment is in August, and the proclamation that allows driving with an expired license ends June 8. ("If your Hawai'i driver's license, or Hawai'i commercial driver's license expired on March 16, 2020 through June 7, 2021 you may continue to drive legally through June 8, 2021." (Whew! What a relief that if license expires on June 7, you can legally drive until June 8!!))

Does anybody know of any other options? If I read the web site correctly my only option is to do a walk-in in Hilo and that sounds like a painful, all-day event.

https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/departments...pointments
Walk in at the Hilo drivers licensing place.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I tried walking in at 0845 this morning at Hilo and there was a sign up that said "WE'VE MET OUR MAXIMUM CAPACITY OF WALK-IN APPLICANTS. PLEASE TRY AGAIN TOMORROW"

I went up to the kiosk and the woman barked at me DO YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT?! I tried explaining to her that there were no appointments available online and she told me that I was wrong. (I had tried scrolling through the calendar into 2023 and every month showed no appointments available).

Some nice lady who was near me told me that she had the same outcome, and that she had originally tried to go to Pahoa and that they had put up signs not to approach the building unless one had an appointment, no walk-ins were available.

She said she got to Hilo at 0650 (they open at 0800) and she was #10 in line.

It wasn't until later that I realized today is June 8, the day that licenses that expired in the last year are no longer extended under Ige's proclamation, so I don't know if that is the reason why it was so crazy or this is just how the bureaucracy functions now.

Regardless, it looks like for now at least the only way to get a renewal is to book an appointment months into the future in Pahoa, or show up in Hilo at least an hour before they open. I would suggest earlier is better, I would rather get there at 0630 and wait for 2-3 hours than get there at 0800 and wait 6-7 hours. Just don't show up 45 minutes after they open like I did, or else you'll have just wasted an hour driving to Hilo and back with only frustration to show for it.

I suggest making a game of it, perhaps pretending that it's 1977 and you're camping out for tickets to Star Wars. Except after you get your ticket, you're not sure if you're going to get to see the event, or you'll find out that the utility bill you brought to prove that the USPS doesn't deliver to your home address isn't sufficient and maybe you get to repeat the process another day.
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Gov. Ige’s latest emergency proclamation Monday gave Hawaii residents 60 extra days to renew outdated driver’s licenses, learner’s permits and state identification cards.

If those documents expired between March 16, 2020 and June 8, 2021, they will now be valid through Aug. 6.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com//app/2021/...documents/
Don't know if this will still work, but it's what I had to do this past April.

The earliest appointment I could get ( at Pahoa ) was 2 months after my license expired. I was told that appointments sometimes opened up last minute. I kept going on-line, and checking for openings for the next 3-4 days. After about a week, I was able to get an opening for the next day at 9:30. It was a pain to keep checking, but it did work.
(06-08-2021, 11:20 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Gov. Ige’s latest emergency proclamation Monday gave Hawaii residents 60 extra days to renew outdated driver’s licenses, learner’s permits and state identification cards.

If those documents expired between March 16, 2020 and June 8, 2021, they will now be valid through Aug. 6.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com//app/2021/...documents/

Thanks for posting.  Unfortunately, my license doesn't expire until after June 8, so the extension doesn't help me. Though, maybe it will encourage those people granted an extension to procrastinate, which may indirectly help me.

Thanks Punaperson, I will try that angle too.