Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nissan Leaf Battery Replacement Alternative To Dealer?
(05-04-2022, 10:12 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: ..  Solar power makes charging virtually free, so would be worth the cost of new batteries if it were more like $5000.
You charge it with solar?  Must have a lot of panels.
Ebay has some Nissan LEaf replacement battery packs for under $5,000

Thanks.  Several are listings for a battery replacement service in Portland.  They provide both the battery & installation.  I was hoping to find someone in Puna who might do the same, in that price range, $5000-$7000.  I’m not confident I could ship a battery here and do the installation myself.  

Must have a lot of panels.

Yes.
(05-04-2022, 11:40 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Ebay has some Nissan LEaf replacement battery packs for under $5,000

Thanks.  Several are listings for a battery replacement service in Portland.  They provide both the battery & installation.  I was hoping to find someone in Puna who might do the same, in that price range, $5000-$7000.  I’m not confident I could ship a battery here and do the installation myself.  
Tough call.  I'd sell it cheap for parts and look for another EV.
I'd sell it cheap for parts…

It’s cheap enough to keep it for trips close to home.  Got another car for longer outings.
Here’s the link to the EV battery replacement shop in Portland if anyone in Puna/Hilo is looking for a business opportunity and wants to get in on the ground floor:

https://evridesllc.com
I’m still curious what your plan for the old battery would be, even if the vehicle was scrapped. I know the dealerships have a system in place for appropriate disposal and hopefully recycling in the case of Toyota, not sure about Nissan or the Korean makes.
Would definitely be cheaper to send it to Portland & back than pay $15K...
Have you checked on Maui or Honolulu to see if they have more service tech/options??
... they have had service on electrics for way longer than our island (Nissan dealer waited 8 years to "come on board" with electrics.. took Aloha Kia getting electrics before Kama`aina got on the "electric train"...)
your plan for the old battery would be

My plan was to find a mechanic who would replace the battery, including proper disposal of the old battery.

cheaper to send it to Portland 

Portland EV Rides will install a used battery that gets about 100 mile range for $7000.  An upgraded battery that will go 200 miles is $12000.  Shipping round trip is about $2500.  

I’ve checked for local shops using “Hawaii” in the search, but good idea, I’ll try “Maui” & “Oahu.”
I suspect for a local mechanic disposal would be just as difficult as procuring the battery. Same cost or more to ship it out as in. Something to consider as the dealership has no doubt priced this in.
dealership has no doubt priced this in.

No doubt.  Along with $300 an hour dealer labor cost and "book price" which is their inflated method of checking their book for the cost of a repair and if it says 4 hours but only takes 30 minutes, you get charged for 4 hours labor.  At $300 per hour.

A private mechanic will charge a reasonable hourly rate and actual time required for the repair.  And hopefully price in proper battery disposal too.

I once called a dealer for an engine belt replacement.  They said it would take and be billed at 4 hours.  I had never done it before, it took 15 minutes.  When you drop off a car for repair in the morning and you're told it will be ready by 2 PM it's not that it takes that long.  It's so you don't pick up the car an hour later and then ask "why did you bill me for 4 hours labor?"
The local Nissan dealership would probably take the battery. I think (hope) they recycle them. The battery pack is supposed to outlive the car, according to Nissan. Hah!

A dimished range with these older Leafs is fairly common. Probably aren't many out there getting more than 70 miles or so out of a charge.