Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Land court title?
(06-29-2022, 04:38 PM)loffelkopffl Wrote:
(06-26-2022, 01:34 AM)Ccat Wrote: What is a certificate of title from the land court?

Apparently you get (can get) this in lieu of the usual deed when you buy real property from a tax sale. 

Supposedly, you can’t get title insurance on a certificate of title but if it is a cash sale, does title insurance matter?

Has anybody ever had problems either owning or selling property with this land court certificate of title?

Thanks,

Ccat
I bought and sold properties purchased at COH tax sales. You must hold them for one year(or original owner can pay you the 12% to buy back)after that it is no problem to sell. The 20 years claim is hogwash.
 Please tell me who you have used as a listing agent. Mine has called every title company on the island and nobody wants to touch my lot.
https://www.taxtitleservices.com/price-schedule/

They claim they will do it for $1950. Not the actual title insurance that is their fee to get the property qualified for title insurance and they will find you a title company to do it.

"Our primary objective is to qualify tax deed properties for title insurance and preventing the requirement of a quiet title judgment by our partner underwriters. We’ve been providing our nationally recognized foreclosure due process certifications on behalf of our clients since 2000. We are not a title company, however, our partner underwriters will provide title insurance on your transaction based on our successful certification, thus allowing your property to be sold or refinanced. We are the thorough, fast, and inexpensive alternative to quiet title actions."

Here's another place. There's quite a few that solve this problem you just have to dig for it.

https://www.meridiantitle.com/specialty-departments

I emailed my title person and asked specifically about the tax auction question and she said that First American Title stopped insuring these types of transactions in July of 2021, so this is a relatively new change at least for them.
Latest edit!

It was probably Mark Suckaturd who caused this to happen. The proper procedure to get title insurance after a tax auction is to file a quiet title action with the courts... but Suckaturd did this to steal land from Hawaiians on Kauai, and then a bunch of proposed bills and lawsuits were threatened: https://www.lahainanews.com/news/local-n...e-actions/
Does anybody know how long one has to be delinquent on their property taxes before the county steals it and auctions it?

Edit: Hawaii Revised Statutes § 231-63 states three years.

Any idea how long it is in reality?
Three years is about the average I’ve seen when looking at the auction site.  But what’s not listed is the interesting part.  There’s a lot in an undisclosed location (for my well being) that is owned by someone in Japan who hasn’t paid taxes in 20 years.  I showed it to a Japanese national who said the mailing address is in a wealthy yakuza area of Tokyo.  

That may or may not be true, but 20 years is a long time for the country to let someone slide on their taxes, don’t you think?
How much are the back taxes?
Back taxes are almost $93,000, for a vacant lot

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Let's buy it for the future home of the Punaweb Bar & Grill!

Wait... is it in Puna? I think that would be a prerequisite.
In HPP
Back taxes are almost $93,000, for a vacant lot

We will make that back in free beer!