Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns
(10-02-2022, 01:08 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: our founding fathers never envisioned an administrative state being so restrictive

“well-regulated” implies administration by some authority.
For instance, the County of Hawaii.  Some form of regulation is recommended by the Second Amendment and that is what a member of the county council intends to propose.

"“well-regulated” implies administration by some authority."

The 2nd amendment was written to protect us from such authority, not to be confined by it.  The concept that there would be "government regulations" was against everything our founding fathers intended.   The definition of "well regulated" as it pertained to legal documents in the late 1700's meant something that was in working order, calibrated correctly, or functioning as expected.  It wasn't referring to "government regulations". The CFRs didn't exist before 1938.  It was referring to what worked well within the community, which at the time was generally referring to able-bodied white males between the ages of 16-59.  But that was just referring to the militia, of which the 2nd amendment isn't limited to. (plenty of case law has already established it has nothing to do with militias).

To imply that they were suggesting that the intent of the amendment should be subjected to some sort of government regulations, when none existed at the time, is just nonsense.  

When the 2nd amendment was written, we had just defeated the most powerful empire in the world with a rag-tag group of farmers known as minutemen who could grab a rifle and head to battle with little notice. After our independence, our nation didn't have a military of any kind. Jefferson wrote about how he didn't want a navy but had to deal with Muslims that led to the Barbary Wars. It's immortalized to this day in the Marine Hymn in the second line: "From the Halls of Montezuma To the Shores of Tripoli;"

which at the time 

OK.  Then let’s have the County of Hawaii issue permits, but only for muskets and other instruments of the time.
(10-02-2022, 02:59 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: which at the time 

OK.  Then let’s have the County of Hawaii issue permits, but only for muskets and other instruments of the time.

The rifles at the time were outfitted with bayonets which only served the purpose of disemboweling humans.

Are you sure you want late 1700's rifle standards applied to modern times?  Personally, I prefer rifles that aren't configured specifically to kill human beings. I'm just a pig hunter. I don't want to kill people, so I want no part of your plan.
Are you sure you want late 1700's rifle standards applied to modern times? 

Didn’t most Americans hunt for their food back in the day?  Without a bayonet?
Since we now have Safeway & KTA, and restaurants and food trucks all over the place, maybe 1700’s rifle standards aren’t even necessary any more?
Hawaii as well as all jurisdictions will have to comply with Bruen. SCOTUS already ruled that the arguments put forth by HOTPE are invalid. You may or may not agree with them but it is now the law of the land. If Hawaii and or Hawaii County are reasonable in their regulations implementing CCW then they will probably stand. If they pass regulations that are obviously an attempt to invalidate Bruen then they will get struck down eventually and more limitations on what local or State jurisdictions can implement will probably result. Hopefully Hawaii will come up with something reasonable that will satisfy everybody as much as possible. Yeah I know, probably not, but we can hope.

It looks like NJ and NY will try and invalidate Bruen with regulation but that's short sighted. It will most likely result in them getting slapped down by the Court. But then I guess it makes for good politics in the short term. Unfortunately Hawaii will probably follow their lead and ultimately just waste a lot of time and money, but again, good short term politics.

But enough of this. It will be what it will be. I'm done.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
There are 400 Million guns in this country. You can enact all the legislation you want but nothing will change the fact that Pandora has left her box.

A robust and free mental healthcare program would go much farther to curbing gun violence than any type of ban.
Pandora was never “in” the box.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Laws may not keep a Big Island crook from carrying a gun, but they can ensure that getting caught carrying one during a crime leads to a mandatory jail sentence.
A robust and free mental healthcare program would go much farther to curbing gun violence than any type of ban.

That's the ticket.. especially when we consider that any sane mind wouldn't want anything to do with a gun.
I disagree. Having a gun in your home to protect your family seems very reasonable as does having a gun for hunting. Mental health is indeed the issue but the problem is getting those who need help to accept help.
Certainty will be the death of us.