Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Mechanic Suggestions
Although it's against federal law to remove cats no one locally would enforce this since there's no emissions testing. The questions would be if a muffler shop is willing to do it for you and if you'd be tolerant of a more smelly, polluting exhaust.

First, it needs to be determined if that's in fact your problem.
It is illegal to remove a converter.
Test pipes are a thing of the past.

It will have a check engine light on if it has failed and anyone with a code scanner can read out the codes.

I think Orielly will scan it for free.
Most check engine codes thrown related to converters don’t coincide with any noticeable symptoms such as lack of performance. It’s simply an emissions related failure to meet standards.

It’s possible for a converter to be clogged and not throw a code.
It's not illegal to remove a catalytic converter (unless you're stealing it).

It's illegal to drive on a public road without one. It's also unenforceable unless one lives somewhere there is emissions testing, and the penalty is that you fail the emissions test. Some states (like California) have stricter laws that can result in steep fines but it's highly unlikely someone is going to check for a cat during a routine traffic stop without good reason.

So in finding a shop that will straight pipe the exhaust system, it might be necessary to include that the vehicle will be used for "off road use only". (Hint hint).

Most cars have 2-4 O2 censors in the emissions system that will throw out errors if the cat is removed, so unless the vehicle was made prior to 1997 removing the cat will cause the check engine light to be on forever. I don't know if shops can or will fix that.
CEL feex : )
Tiny drill bit
or sliver of e tape
(02-18-2023, 05:03 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:Clints in Hilo has been recommended by tenured folks here. Never use them but there seems to be a good turnover there. New AND old cars. IMO this is a good sign
that they can fix the modern and keep the old going.

Again IMO, i see this as them having satisfied and probably return customers.

Kinda like choosing a restaurant, go to the one that is crowded with  locals.
Thanks for all the referrals and ideas - you've all helped me a lot.  Should I get the cat converter cleaner and see what happens?
(02-21-2023, 10:24 PM)sistersue Wrote:
elepaio pid=' dateline=\'1676696604' Wrote:Clints in Hilo has been recommended by tenured folks here. Never use them but there seems to be a good turnover there. New AND old cars. IMO this is a good sign
that they can fix the modern and keep the old going.

Again IMO, i see this as them having satisfied and probably return customers.

Kinda like choosing a restaurant, go to the one that is crowded with  locals.
Thanks for all the referrals and ideas - you've all helped me a lot.  Should I get the cat converter cleaner and see what happens?
Why not?   You just buy the can and pour it in where the gas goes.  It's a cheap fix if it works.  I doubt it will, but ya never know!
"Does catalytic converter cleaner really work?
The short answer is no. Using one of these products likely results in ameliorated symptoms, mainly because they contain additives that will clean carbon deposits from your engine's fuel and exhaust systems. Mind you, they won't completely eliminate them or magically repair your damaged catalytic converter."

What year and make are the car and is a check engine light on ?
Mobil mech. did brakes for me yesterday. Very happy with his work and the fact we had to fit repairs in between heavy rain.          808 391 4874  Big Grin
(02-22-2023, 06:17 PM)chrashd Wrote: Mobil mech. did brakes for me yesterday. Very happy with his work and the fact we had to fit repairs in between heavy rain.          808 391 4874  Big Grin

Do you mind telling us the extent of the work and how much they charged?

I recently got front brakes on a truck done at Mikes.  It was $375 for pads and rotors, parts and labor, which was less than I was expecting.  I asked how much was left on the back and they had the mechanic come out and tell me and answer my questions.   They recently hired a lady to manage the place and it seems a LOT smoother than when I had been there previously.  If they would tow out a dozen or two of the derelict vehicles clogging their parking area it would be a further improvement. 

And they had free donuts in the morning.  They looked good, but carbs and seed oils are bad.