Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Mechanic Suggestions
Mike in Pahoa said it's a transmission problem so I took my car to Transmission Technology and paid $235. to have it diagnosed and they say the transmission is fine, the problem is the engine (cat converter or sensor, etc.)  So now I need help with finding a good and honest mechanic.  Please give me your ideas on who I should take my car to.  Thank you!
What is wrong with the car?
Second that question plus how old of a vehicle and is there a check engine light?
Seems like you’re having a problem getting a correct diagnosis.

Antonio’s repair in Hilo finally figured out a problem with my neighbors van a couple
months ago after others had failed, for what that’s worth.
Their main man has a few decades of experience.
I had tried Mike in Pahoa a couple of times for issues that I needed someone else to fix even though I am fully capable and have the tools to do so. (It was a time issue for me) I came away unimpressed with the quality of work done despite stressing to Mike that quality was something I was more than willing to pay for and basically came to the conclusion that he and his crew are a bunch of hacks who simply want to rush every job out the door.
I personally have not used Sci but several neighbors have and said he is a honest mechanic and very good. The fact he comes to your house was very convenient. SciCo Mobile 808-825-8455 https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100076393290459
Deckman
(02-17-2023, 07:12 PM)Deckman Wrote: I personally have not used Sci but several neighbors have and said he is a honest mechanic and very good. The fact he comes to your house was very convenient. SciCo Mobile 808-825-8455 https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100076393290459
Does anyone have any knowledge of Wally's Garage in HPP?
Thanks for the help.
Clints in Hilo has been recommended by tenured folks here. Never use them but there seems to be a good turnover there. New AND old cars. IMO this is a good sign
that they can fix the modern and keep the old going.

Again IMO, i see this as them having satisfied and probably return customers.

Kinda like choosing a restaurant, go to the one that is crowded with locals.
(02-16-2023, 11:46 PM)terracore Wrote: What is wrong with the car?
My car is old but I'm not ready to give up on it.  It has all the symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter, even the rotten egg smell sometimes.
You can can ask a shop to straight pipe it, they might even do it for free in trade for the catalytic converter. Of course modifying an exhaust system in this manner would mean you could legally only drive "off road" with it.

You could also try using an additive that cleans your existing converter: https://cartreatments.com/best-catalytic...r-cleaner/
They used to sell, catalytic converter "test pipes". Remove converter, install test pipe, and test drive. If it ran good, you'd know what the problem was. The person I knew just left the test pipe on it and drove it. Legality? Don't know. For a repair to do that, I think, it's a big fine.
Jon in Keaau/HPP