Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Puna Makai Route “Soon”
(10-10-2023, 01:36 PM)kalakoa Wrote: People will tolerate anything to live in a tropical paradise with the lowest property taxes in the US.

And yet complain about everything once they get here
(10-11-2023, 07:02 PM)offgridguy Wrote:
(10-10-2023, 01:36 PM)kalakoa Wrote: People will tolerate anything to live in a tropical paradise with the lowest property taxes in the US.

And yet complain about everything once they get here
And continue complaining after they leave.  As I understand it, kalakoa has returned to America.
(10-10-2023, 09:45 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: "I suspect the County is much faster to sue than do anything else."

Good point. Considering the County just put the law firm of Shipman, Shipman, Shipman, Shipman & Shipman on retainer!
I thought it was Boyd, Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.

Where did Kalakoa land-Mississippi?
They have done studies. They know the potential options/routes. They don't have the money and probably never will. Another mil down the drain.
Update on Puna Makai Alternate Route January 3, 2024:

The Hawaii County Council passed [color=var(--link_color)]Bill 107[/color] on its first reading on December 20, 2023. This bill is essential for securing state funding and allocating the remaining funds necessary for the Puna Makai Alternate Route study.

The next step is for the Hawaii County Council to pass [color=var(--link_color)]Bill 107[/color] on January 10, 2024, for its second and final reading to ensure the funding needed. Then, Hawaii County Public Works can thoroughly scope the project and start the study to determine the alternate route

https://repilagan.com/pmar/
$1.5M isn't enough by local standards to even do a study for a traffic light, never mind a major new road. Meanwhile the state DOT controlls funding for highway expansion, and PMAR still isn't on their Master Plan. Two years ago I was told by a DOT official that they are not PMAR fans, and lifelong bureaucrats don't change their minds easily. Will the county put up the tens of millions of dollars to build a new road to Puna without any state or Federal funding? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, this diversion is brought to us by Little Greggie Ilagan, a guy who has never had a real job in his life except for the National Guard, and that was part time.
I used to call him "Gilligan".

A recurring theme in these plans is the idea of a "village" or "neighborhood" commercial area which might eliminate the need for some trips to town. (Of course the "village commercial" areas all only exist where they already are.) The necessary rezoning and permitting is "just" County staff time which is already paid for. Somehow it can't ever happen, because reasons. Remember Pahoa Feed & Fertilizer?

I especially like how the best PMAR routes are either "through Shipman/HPP" or "in the tsunami inundation zone", and those answers never change no matter how much is spent on studies or how many years pass.

Sure, people want to prevent "sprawl" and "too much development" -- but there's such a thing as "too little development", like when all the checkout lines reache the back of the store, or it takes hours to pick up mail at the post office. Lowest property taxes in the US, I guess that's something.
The goal was never PMAR. The goal was to keep the "studies" funding continuing until we all have flying cars. At this point even if PMAR was green lit to go, the flying car thing would still probably happen first.

Hopefully Punaweb will still be here, so I can make a thread complaining about the noise from the flying cars.
(01-05-2024, 02:58 AM)terracore Wrote: The goal was never PMAR.  The goal was to keep the "studies" funding continuing until we all have flying cars.  At this point even if PMAR was green lit to go, the flying car thing would still probably happen first.

Hopefully Punaweb will still be here, so I can make a thread complaining about the noise from the flying cars.

First of all, these flying cars better be electric - and not burn fossil fuels!

Oh, and will the DMV require a weight certificate if I bring in an out of state flying car?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Cars will all be plug in electric....extension cord length to be determined by your tax status Cool