Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something to be grateful for
This may flavor the EBT pricing theory. I have not verified this, maybe one of you can. Supposedly, Malama Market gives a 50% discount on local produce to EBT beneficiaries. Produce from any island alegedly qualifies.
Where did you hear this, Punatang?
Certainty will be the death of us.
(12-03-2023, 01:26 AM)kalianna Wrote: Where did you hear this, Punatang?
LOL well....
I was at a local farmers market and a vendor was reselling cut watermelon that they claimed they had purchased via the EBT 50% off program. The watermelon was from Oahu and so it qualified.
It is called "Da Bux". Malama and KTA participate, as well as some other places around the state. EBT holders can get 50% off local produce on items with the "Da Bux" signs on them. Good way to encourage purchasing local produce; a healthier closer-to-home option. Would be nice to figure out how to make this available to all, to encourage buying local, but that suggests farm subsidies, etc., a whole different ball game.

https://dabux.org/
Thanks. I had heard of Da Bux but didnʻt know what it was. Good idea!
Certainty will be the death of us.
The comment about people using EBT cards correlating to an increase in prices reminded me of something years and years ago that had a brief emergence in the public consciousness.
I say brief because although it might be some local news in depth reporting for a few days, it passes by and no-one remembers or cares as time go on.
Use of Credit cards of any kind add an invisible charge to the cost of doing business.
Businesses lose a bit of that purchase money to pay for the overhead/privilege of accepting credit cards. American Express charged a little more and I remember some businesses with signs stating up front they accepted Visa and MC but not Am Exp.
Everyone may not remember that bit of history, but I bet everyone knows some local/mom&pop store even today that only accepts cash. Bigger stores or chains can absorb or pass that cost along where the volume and profit margins of smaller stores just can't do that.
Use of Credit cards of any kind add an invisible charge to the cost of doing business

And if a customer uses a rewards card, the business pays even more, an extra 1-2%. Your credit card company crows about their generosity giving you miles or points. It doesn’t cost them a thing. The merchant pays it.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Interesting to think we've been leveraging credit for richer lifestyles, bigger homes, and healthcare insurance, but now the bill is coming due in the form of an ever bigger drag on society. Seems like subsidizing or offering credit for something always drives up the price eventually. Home prices, healthcare, education are all things that have gone through the roof since loans and insurance have become prevalent.
Yeah thanks for continuing to support this asinine system. Nothing changes until General Strike. Meanwhile the working class will continue to experience lower life expectancy while the scammers laugh all the way home. But thanks for breaking your backs, good luck with that.
(12-04-2023, 03:49 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Use of Credit cards of any kind add an invisible charge to the cost of doing business

And if a customer uses a rewards card, the business pays even more, an extra 1-2%.  Your credit card company crows about their generosity giving you miles or points.  It doesn’t cost them a thing. The merchant pays it.

When I had a merchant account it was against the terms of service to charge any customer more for paying with a credit card (as opposed to cash or check).  Every type of card had this requirement, and it was enforced.  

Some years after that the credit card issuers lost a string of court cases and it was deemed their scheme was illegal.  So now a merchant can tack on the credit card fees if they want to, including charging more for cards that cost them more to process.