Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built
It's $$$, that people have to spend, that got Puna Makai built.  It has a bunch of the same vendors and I think the same developer as the new strip mall type thing in Waikoloa Village. Seems like its about the same size.  Someone thought there was $$$ to be made and put their $$$ where their mouth is.  The prices seem really high but it's always crowded over there.  

The projected demographics for Puna are much more bullish than they are for Waikoloa.

Personally I think that's a big reason "no one cares".  They care.  The rest of the state (AKA their districts) is/are bleeding residents and Puna is growing.  Whatever they can do to put the breaks on that is clearly in their interests.

Even with our unique relationship with Pele, for some reason it makes financial sense, to many, to invest in Puna.  People vote with their feet and their $$$ and people are voting on Puna.  We need a dang road.

Great idea Edge.
Do you also understand the difference between middle class Waikoloa Village and mega-rich Waikoloa resort properties?

There ain't no dif.. the hotels down on the coast the labor to run them up in the village. If you look at the area's master plan there is going to be developement all the way from the high road (#190) makai to the sea. From Kawaihae to Kona. And that is real development, real people, real dollars. Not a hodgepodge of the lowest rent in the state. Not a bunch of crack addicts stealing from and killing each other. Not a bunch of welfare recipients. Face Edge, Puna is the slums. 

It's ok, you're ok, we're all fine, and they'll take the tax dollars for the folks in Puna just like the rest if 'em. They're just not going to give anymore than the bare minimum back.
They're just not going to give anymore than the bare minimum back.

Hence, Edge's akamai solution that circumvents that with capitalism.  
(05-27-2024, 08:24 PM)Punatang Wrote: They're just not going to give anymore than the bare minimum back.

Hence, Edge's akamai solution that circumvents that with capitalism.  

And what, beside Shipman's interest, about Puna is capitalistic? I don't think anyone's making anything on most of the money that changes hands in Puna.. illicit drugs and unregistered guns are not taxed.

As to Shipman.. do yourself a fav.. go find a copy of Emmett Cahill's The Shipman's of East Hawaii. It ain't a 'page turner' but does shed a light on that families intent.. which isn't your's or mine. And leaves little doubt they're working on a different time scale entirely.
Puna is for losers as far as

Loved your previous work as Dr. Smith in Lost In Space.
“We’re doomed!  DOOMED!”
(05-27-2024, 08:18 PM)MyManao Wrote: Do you also understand the difference between middle class Waikoloa Village and mega-rich Waikoloa resort properties?

There ain't no dif.. the hotels down on the coast the labor to run them up in the village. If you look at the area's master plan there is going to be developement all the way from the high road (#190) makai to the sea. From Kawaihae to Kona. And that is real development, real people, real dollars. Not a hodgepodge of the lowest rent in the state. Not a bunch of crack addicts stealing from and killing each other. Not a bunch of welfare recipients. Face Edge, Puna is the slums. 

It's ok, you're ok, we're all fine, and they'll take the tax dollars for the folks in Puna just like the rest if 'em. They're just not going to give anymore than the bare minimum back.

Well I’ll be damned. 

So who would have thunk that here all along that Waikoloa is drug free, no welfare recipients, no crack heads, no stealing and no murder. 

Sounds like an idealistic utopia with every family being Ward and June Cleaver. Wally and the “Beav” helping little old ladies cross every street and carrying their groceries!

When do they start bringing in the transplanted elm trees?

And then when do they build that wall to keep the “undesirables” out? And get Puna to pay for it?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
 and they'll take the tax dollars for the folks in Puna just like the rest if 'em - Mymanao

I don't think anyone's making anything on most of the money that changes hands in Puna.. illicit drugs and unregistered guns are not taxed. - Mymanao

Dad always said, "if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything".

he also said you can't have your cake and eat it too.

PS: at least some of our murderers do register their guns.  See "Attempted Murder In HPP" thread for more info.
(05-27-2024, 07:56 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: and no volcano to wipe it out every other decade.

Have you ever noticed how many fires they have?  It’s an area subject to far more potential destruction than Puna.  Waikoloa Village is in lava zone 3, and that’s Mauna Loa zone 3.  
Do you also understand the difference between middle class Waikoloa Village and mega-rich Waikoloa resort properties?

Waikoloa village is LZ8. That is according to the County's GIS database. The resort areas are mostly LZ3. Although often challenging, its much easier to mitigate against wildfire dangers than lava inondation. Having a functioning water distribution infrastructure and high density population also makes for an easier defense.
Most of where the people live is in LZ8. Here it is on a map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=19.940848128106484%2C-155.75332765144844&z=11&mid=18d7CWmxQFvxOt-6VzPVunoM0aeLiFfU
Thanks for the lava zone maps.  I had searched The Google for Waikoloa Village Lava Zone, but the result they gave me must have been for the resort area.  So Waikoloa Village gets an escape road in lava zone 8, something we don’t have in zone 3?

easier to mitigate against wildfire dangers than lava inondation

Do you think so?  How many died in Lahaina?  How many died in recent Puna lava flows?  I know that sounds like I’m arguing Waikoloa Village requires an extra road more than Puna - - but we have a much larger population.  Traffic would back up fat longer than an hour on Highway 130 if there was a disaster here.