Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is racism a big problem?
Just curious. You’re driving down the road. You’re driving slow. A car passes you honking and flipping you off. The driver of that car is white. Would you think they acted that way because of your race? Another car passes you honking and flipping you off. The driver of that car looks Hawaiian. Would you think they acted that way because of your race? If we believe that everything negative or dislikable that someone "Hawaiian looking" does to us is because of our race, guess who the real racist is?
If Hawaii is a State,

Then why are Haoles not allowed on the Hawaiian Island of Ni'ihau?

Is racism still alive... depends on who you run with.

-------
It is the way... the way it is.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Maggie said she could not afford private school, and the charter schools didn't impress her, so I was concerned. But it sounds like she's on to a promising charter school.

I'm going to have to re-read that, I wasn't impressed with the PUBLIC schools and was told specifically to look into charter schools. If I said anything different, it must have been a misphrasing.

--maggie
maggie, without going back to your topic (so forgive me if I have it wrong), I seem to remember you were dubious about charter schools you had looked at due to being off the grid or not having websites. You did not say you didn't want a charter school, rather that you hadn't found one that suited yet. (sorry as I expressed that poorly in my last post)

I wasn't sure you would find one to meet your standards, in which case you might be looking at public schools. I think you had asked whether it was really so bad if you went with public school. My response was to deter you from assuming a public school was going to be a good fit, at least without a thorough look into the school's track record.
quote:
Originally posted by Damon

If Hawaii is a State,

Then why are Haoles not allowed on the Hawaiian Island of Ni'ihau?

Ni'ihau is private property, and the Robertson clan who own it get to control who goes there. They also have an amazing amount of control over the lives of the Hawaiians who live there. Sounds like feudalism, but they keep it going.

Cheers,
Jerry
Ni'ihau is Private Property.

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
I don't have a problem with Niihau's exclusivity, but how does private property exempt the "landlords" from non-discrimination laws? I was under the impression that Nii'hau was gifted specially as an atonement to the Hawaiians for how they were treated, similar I suppose to a Native American reservation, or the Hawaiian Homelands' provisions. I had indeed read about the Robinsons, long ago, but I guess it didn't click with me.

If private property were a justification for only allowing a specific race, housing complexes and tracts could discriminate. Which they cannot. Even owner-occupied properties are limited to either two or four units in order to be exempt from Fair Housing.

Isn't there some other legal reason in play?
Thanks for everyone's input. I want to know about the culture issues before I get there soon. Do the locals WANT the whites to keep to their own? I've always been colorblind, too and plan not to change but I don't know what the cultural norm is. Just like, I heard it is expected for you to take your shoes off went you go into someone's home..is that true? Linda Bowman
The shoes might be cultural, but it makes sense most of the houses I have visited on the island had hard wood floors... and your shoes bring in cinder and scratch the floors...

this one is easy to get into the habit of.

Texan Moving to Puna on July 3rd 2008.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Aloha sweetwater,

The place of my birth and youth was remote western Kentucky -- seregated schools until 1964, segregated neighborhoods pretty much still, and forever no 'inter-mingling of the races.' Ive seen racism honed to a fine (and disgusting) art.
My experience in Hawaii includes being a 19-yr age sailor in Honolulu in 1971 to being a beach-dweller in Kalapana in 1974-75 to being a public employee and now 'retiree-in-training'. No direct experience in public schools.

Racism happens here. Not like in Dixieland now or ever, and not like it was here 30 years ago, especially not as much violence. Although there was a violent incident at a public intermediate school in Hilo during the past yr or so.
At the same time, and in a much larger way, there is an incomparable depth of humanity, fellowship, and individual resistance to racist behavior.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park