Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shortwave (ham) Radio in Puna
"then proficiency in Morse can literally make the difference between life and death".

Thanks Steve, My understanding was that the amount of morse had been reduced but not entirly.. Anyway, if they're counting on my morse code ability... they're probably gonna die, but then again maybe the EMT thing would come in handy. --. --- --- -.. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-
--..-- -.. .- ...- . It was never the code itself as much as the time constraints for the translations.

Blessings,
dave

"I'm not as good as I once was.. but I'm as good once, as I ever was" George Straight
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Nice post Gene. I knew one of you guys would show up... So I give a big... "what he said" to it. I would, had I ever received my license, been an "appliance operator" as well. Actually if they've taken code out of the requirements I might again consider testing. Hmm.. the learning possibilities for PUNAWEB are endless, Peace, dave

Blessings,
dave

"I'm not as good as I once was.. but I'm as good once, as I ever was" George Straight
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

quote:
Originally posted by Damon

I really don't know much about "Ducts" or HAM Radio, but I did read this article the other day.

...The best known such duct is the Hawaiian duct which links the West Coast of the US, especially California with the Big Island of Hawaii....

------blog

Wow, that's a long frickin' hop! 2 meters is a VHF FM band that's used mainly for local communication.

The Big Island to West Coast skip works because there's nothing in between to dampen the signal (mountains, e.g.). I haven't fired up my rig since mella & moved to California, but when we lived in Oregon I'd get on it sometimes at night in the winter and talk to guys in Hawaii as loud & clear as if they were in the same room. Alaska the same.

Other people listening in from back East & the Midwest could hear my side of the conversation but not the Hawaii end. Since collecting contacts from ham stations from different parts of the world is a big deal to a lot of operators, this frustrated the hell out of 'em.

It evens out though, confirming contacts with the Caribbean and Africa is tough for West Coast yakkers.

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/hfop.html

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

A question for the ham operators regarding antenna wire (or cable, or whatever the proper term may be): which type of antenna cable might it be a good idea to run from the office area to the antenna mast area since "now" appears to be the best time to pull wire through conduits in our home under construction ...yet at this point we have not selected either a receiver/transmitter system or an antenna array to mount on the mast? I ask because the general contractor, the electrician, and the security system guy are talking with one another as they contemplate running wiring hither and yon throughout the frame of the house prior to sheetrocking. They agree it would be better to pull the wire through now rather than later because there is some question about how many wires (for diverse purposes) of what various diameters will all fit together through a couple of particular choke points. Is there a standard type or diameter of receiver/transmitter-to-antenna which is routinely used for ham systems locally?

A second question regards placing a strobe and siren associated with the alarm system up on the antenna mast. The contractor likes this idea better than mounting that gear up on the roof ridgeline where the lightning arrest system is going. Seems like a good idea in terms of maximum visibility/audibility, but perhaps this is naive vis a vis the alarm system interfering with the dynamics of the ham system or the ham system accidentally activating the strobe &/or siren?

Finally, I've recently been told Hawaii code requires one foot of distance from a property line for every foot of height in an antenna mast (apparently without a limit on the height of the mast other than distance to the property boundary, though this seems unlikely to me). Anyone know the actual regs as regards this aspect?

Thanks in advance for any experienced comments, coming from someone (m'self) with very little experience regarding ham radio so far yet who hopes to eventually have a solidly functional system up and running here in Puna.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Nirvana vs Rick Astley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0e9J6Kc6QQ&feature=fvw

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

1) you dont want transmitter cables in the wall
3) unless they changed it ham antennas are exempt from zoning by federal law
DE WCH6CMB