Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs and Stinging nettle caterpillars
quote:
Originally posted by Mitzi M

Yes - I realized the motor oil cure would horrify many. I myself do not generally think petroleum products are great for skin but it was recommended to me by a vet. I had tried everything from aloe to prescription stuff for ringworm on a very sick cat I adopted, nothing worked and the cat was getting worse and worse.
The motor oil cleared it up in about 3 days.

Oil was recommended by a vet??!! Sounds like a few of the vets around here... but you know, I was so at my wits end, I would have tried it if I thought it might get rid of the problem. Hell, it can't be worse than a lot of other medicine's side effects... Well, I'm quite sure it wasn't ringworm, as I said there were 2 other animals that would have gotten it, as well as myself and my boyfriend. I also tried changing his food. As I've said, the only variant that I could find is that we don't have Coqui's or Stinging nettle caterpillars up here. Any kind of fungus or hotspot would not have immediately started clearing up after the move, after him having had it for over a year at the other place. It is my strong conviction that it was indeed the caterpillars, and while it may not affect most animals because of their thicker coats, animals with a thinner coat will most likely be affected, so this is just a warning and perhaps an "ah ha!" moment for other people in a similar situation. Thanks for all the tips though! I'm going to try that noni on things more often I think! Sounds like great stuff!
Melissa Fletcher

Couldn't you just apply a very ripe noni fruit cut in half? Or is it better to get a concentrate? There are tons of plants growing everywhere in Puna! There is also that Noni factory across the street from the painted church. We bought some capsules from them.

By the way, there is a tool called a "Furminator" which is quite expensive, but it will allow you to comb out the under coat very easily. It is amazing how little shedding you get after doing that. This tool is like a miracle!

I don't know if it would help with the hot spots though. I too have heard that they are from ingesting things, as a sort of allergic reaction. My next door neighbors have a Westie that gets hot spots unless she is on a non-corn, non-wheat diet. Those two are usually in less expensive dog foods.

quote:
Originally posted by kani-lehua

i'm not exactly sure how "hot spots" happen, but was told by our vet (not her regular vet) that our chow mix is sensitive to metal brushes. how true that is i don't know. ever tried brushing out the under coat? what a nightmare. she had it twice and it went away using the noni topically, devaney. we bought the noni from down to earth, a health store over here on o'ahu. a couple of health stores on the big island should have it as well.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
sorry, devaney, we won't be spending bucks on the "furminator." she's about 8 years old and has only had the hot spots 2x. also, i don't know how to use the noni in the plant form. for me, it's easier to go and get the concentrate.

animals are no different than humans. environmental allergies and food allergies are quite common. yurtgirl, thankfully fern forest doesn't have (yet) the nettle catepillars and your dog is doing better with the new location.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james