Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Law Enforcement Priority
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

The majority of voters of Hawaii County recently approved an ordinance regarding certain circumstances being designated the �lowest priority� for law enforcement.

How does the County Government � Council, Mayor, Police Department, and Prosecuting Attorney � implement a policy that focuses on certain circumstances being the �lowest priority� for law enforcement?
This is a very real challenge that, when mandated by the citizenry in a democratic society, is the sworn duty of those in public service to take on with total commitment and sincerity.
To meet this challenge and fulfill this duty, a practical place to begin is by identifying the �highest priority� for law enforcement.
Inevitably, due to finite resources, law enforcement will be more proactive in matters where resources are made available.
The highest priority for resource allocation by the Hawaii County Government must be protection of life and property.
For example:
* Traffic violations that have resulted in this County�s roads being the most dangerous in the State of Hawaii: speeding, illegal passing, impaired driving, aggressive driving, and safe condition of vehicles.
* Violence in the home, in the workplace, and in other public places.
* Vandalism of public and private property.
* Theft, including, but not limited to, shoplifting, agricultural theft, and automobile theft.
* For some of the above there are cases that remain unsolved and outstanding warrants for known and/or alleged violators.
A reallocation and concentration of Police Department resources is imperative to put as the highest priority protection of life and property, including not only prevention and intervention, but also unsolved cases and outstanding warrants. If Police Department administration is unable or unwilling to make this reallocation to make crimes of life and property the highest priority, then it is the responsibility of the County Council and Mayor, through the budget process, to ensure that such reallocation takes place.
Protection of life and property must be the highest priority in resource allocation for law enforcement and in the administration of law enforcement.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

I second Bob Orts suggestion.
I was surprised to see your letter to the editor published in the HTH...
I agree with your proposed priorities.
We're in the process of selecting a new Chief of Police. Getting community concurrence with these proposed priorities and presenting them to the new Chief in a recorded public meeting, would be a concrete step forward.

Also, there are vacancies on the Police Commission. My limited observation of Commission members at County Budget sessions, was a coziness with the Police Chief. Commissioners must be independent.
Bob I would tell you they are understaffed, and underfunded. All LE agencies have this problem, but it can be addressed underfunded is the most serious. I would think the minimum patrol officer's they have is 200 using 12 hours shift(which most officers like) would mean 50 per shift, which should but at least 5 in Puna per shift. Now days off and sick leave could change that, also I don't know a thing about their work load so that must factor in. This is pure wag, but does sound like what they could really use is a outside review of policy and procedure. With a long established and entrenched department that will not be popular. From what I read of the 2 applicants you will get more of what you got now. What HPD needs is money and support. New blood at the top with new ideas is needed. I saw an article several months ago on hiring and it was real obvious that the training command didn't have a clue as what was going on with the mainland LEO's. An example, I was issued a 40 Cal. auto 10 years before I retired 5 years ago and he talked about wheel guns. California is a short flight and has some of the best LEO's in the world and training. Believe it or not the Military has some top notch people which would help for free. Never dismiss any source of help when you need it! HPD has a great advantage being the only Law Enforcement agency, it makes changes SOP to everyone. I think you have an excellent PD with some really great people just need a different direction. Also MONEY!!!!! can solve all, GOOD LUCK with that.
I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool
quote:
Originally posted by amf217

From what I read of the 2 applicants you will get more of what you got now.

I think you have an excellent PD with some really great people just need a different direction.
Yaeh, I agree, if you do the same thing, you get the same results.

I wonder, even if new blood was brought in with new ideas, what will happen when the money stays the same?
Here's an idea, online crime reporting:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/c...ports.html
Also, make more use of volunteers and reserve officers. A good reserve officer program can lessen the need for second cars to run as backup units. This allows the regular officers to spend more time on patrol. Volunteers can sit at the office and take minor reports by telephone, negating the need for an officer to respond to many calls.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
The first new person you bring will last about 2 years before they run him or her off, old timers will not like the changes and will use every trick against them they can think up and he or she will not have the support on the Council. Sorry just a cold hard fact, so expect some upheaval. The second person will be able to make changes because it will expected then.
Oink is right tech is cheaper then people, but again some just refuse to use it. In 5 years my old department went from a barely usable radio system to computers in cars and dispatch by them, we did every thing in the car reports dispatch and request for days off, supervisor oversight everything even locator's so the nearest unit was dispatched, this can cut down on manpower need.
I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool

Barbara,
Testimony at the Police Commission meeting earlier this week in Hilo re the New Police chief -- by the end of the meeting, some of the facial expressions and body language seemed to be changed to some recognition of issues and, more over, some realization of what people power is about.

As for Bob's idea of an initiative/referendum re priorities, sure I'll sign the petition and vote for it. Let me know when it is written and bona fide.

btw: The vacancy on the Police Commission is for Council District 3.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
What about including language that has the district county commissioners appoint a police commission member for their district? It would make for more local influence.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
There is a seat for our district on the Police Commission.

Interesting how difficult it can be to get anyone to apply for these positions.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
If I was there yet I would.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.