Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romano's Macaroni Grill opening tomorrow
I knew what I was moving into. But I was moving whether I liked it here or not, so here we are.
You assume we can't or don't cook, that would be prejudicial thinking on your part...

BTW, Kens was packed also... "Kens may be the best place to eat in Hilo"

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
I broke the paragraphs for a reason.

Anyone from Texas I would automatically assume CAN cook. [Wink]

Thus, I was thinking... one that can cook, normally would enjoy a good restaurant when they do go outside ones home.

That being said... if you enjoy a good meal after 8:00 on the East Side, one would stay home. If you can't cook... no matter where your from... you are SOL. [^]

Hee Haw[Big Grin]

-------
My Blog
How do they keep the macaroni from falling through the grill?
It's on spits.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Why are there "roadblocks" in Hilo for new buildings...while Kona is so open and seems to have no problem building anything new? They are both on the same island....they both have to get the building permits, liquor licesneses, etc.. from the same place. The land over there is more expensive than here...and we have a larger population in Hilo to sustain new businesses than Kona does?

Everytime I go over to Kona into one of the larger dept stores...they are like ghost towns....and here its like the Day After Thanksgiving sale every day of the week!
I would say TOURISM is the reason it's there and not here.

Restaurants in Kailua-Kona are closing their doors ... not a good climate.

But this is Waikoloa Beach Resort, where they've built a gazillion condos in the last few years, that attract visitors paying $200 a night and up, in addition to 5 or 6 hotels in the area that only serve insanely overpriced food ... and Romano's is coming it as part of the AFFORDABLE dining options in an area of $45 entree's.

Sansei's is doing great in the same location. I went to the early bird special Monday and there was a line that required an hour waiting in line, and the line was at capacity. Romano's will do great over there.

Point being that over there, Romano's is a middle class option in an area with too much fine dining, for visitors who don't want to cook every night but don't want to break the bank. It can't even be compared to the Hilo market. (There are of course residents in the Waikoloa area, who also have few affordable options).

Here - I was talking to the Hawaii Pizza Deli owner and he told me the week Panda Express opened he had no business - by which I mean there is already a struggle for the existing market.

I wouldn't at all mind having a new restaurant in town! I'm just saying that I can understand why the restaurant would opt to move into Queen's Marketplace.

btw, the Island Gourmet Market (hugely price gouging place), is not a glorified ABC store.
ABC store's don't cater to people with huge amounts of disposable income like this does.
Its niche is to carry fine wine, cheeses, meats, gourmet items that could not be found in the area before, although at the same time it charges stupid amounts of money for items that can be found for a lot less by driving up the hill.

I used to live in Waikoloa Village and still have family there, so I go over quite a bit.
It's a different world over there from East Hawai'i.
meh. i agree with damon. it's over rated.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

The lovely thing about catering to tourists is they don't have to depend on repeat business and loyal customers. There is no place to get spaghetti over there and they will do great, even if they are mediocre.

There are plenty of visiting families with kids who like to eat foods that they know, not sushi, sashimi, fusion, etc.. Pizza does very well over there.
The new Island Market is partnership between KTA Superstores and ABC
Stores. Hence why it probably looks like and feels like an ABC store.
I agree that Macaroni Grill is over priced and nothing like real Italian food. We are not missing a thing, believe me! It is like dining in a Disney restaurant. That is the kind of place we came to Hawaii to avoid! Support your local restaurants, not big chains with pre-packaged foods. Support local farmers by supporting restaurants that buy local fresh products. Their prices will be lower and the food will be MUCH better.

I don't eat at Mc Donalds either. GROSS! Now if someone would open an In and Out... I might be tempted.

quote:
Originally posted by punafish

Jon, if you're commenting on my post then you seem to be implying that I'm a spokesperson for (representative of?) the Hilo community at large. Don't think the locals would appreciate it since I'm but a humble mainlander transplant who just happens not to like Macaroni Grill. I don't care for McD's either, but people in Hilo keep buying their burgers, proof that restaurants can succeed here without my endorsement.

Never thought my personal opinion about a restaurant would be misconstrued as a "we don't want you here" attitude, but I'm flattered that you gave me so much credit.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com