Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Theft Ring at hot ponds
Lori, I am sorry this happened to you, and I hope your life gets back to normal soon. I first learned of the problem at the hot pond a few weeks ago when Bear and I were on foot patrol wearing our HPP Neighborhood Watch t-shirts. A couple from the next road over stopped to chat with us as people often do. Their keys and ID were taken while they were swimming at Alahanui, and the criminal made off with the car. They reported the same less than inspiring response on the part of the police as you, and they thanked us for our efforts here in HPP.

I guess the issue with the police comes down to two factors. There is the allocation of police resources to lower Puna and then there is the attitude and proficiency of the officers we do have. Many of us here on Punaweb believe that Puna is not getting its fair share of police personnel, equipment, and installations. There is discussion of this on previous threads that I won't repeat here, but I do believe it is true. The attitudinal factors are harder to pin down for obvious reasons. Most reports of poor police attitude are anecdotal, but we seem to hear it a lot. In my own experience, I have noticed a difference when the police feel a personal stake in the immediate neighborhood where they are working.

When we had HPP resident officers assigned as our community policing officers and as patrol officers here, we noticed an immediate difference. These guys are at every Neighborhood Watch meeting, whether it is their duty assignment or not. They helped with our budget for patrol equipment and gave us their personal cell numbers to use when we need help above and beyond what dispatch or 911 can do. Of course HPP is a big population center and every neighborhood won't have police officers who live there. Leadership and oversight of the police are important, and taking things up with the political establishment may the the only way to bring about change. Meanwhile, our HPP community cops have told us something repeatedly and it is, "Keep calling and writing. Report every single incident and keep calling if the investigation is not going anywhere. Calls and letters are cumulatively monitored and will eventually get attention."

Finally, if the residents of the Alahanui are willing to tolerate this, it will be hard to stop it short of a major coordinated police operation, and we don't see many of those.

Not too cheerful about this,
Jerry
I am in discussion with some people about launching a private effort to put a dent in the theft problem here.

We are working on a GPS tracking system which can be placed in vehicles or other property and then, in the event of theft, be tracked directly to the criminals involved. The D.A. has told me they will issue search warrants on such a system. This would force the police to respond and make them follow instead of waiting for them to lead.

I hope in coming weeks to have more to say on this.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Felony car theft in such a braisen manner to me should be of very high police priority vs. petty crimes or annoiances. Seems to me the thieves have to be pretty desperate or just plain stupid to do this in broad daylight. Could be the tip of an ice berg (i.e. chop shop, organized crime, drug distribution, etc.). Arrest and jail time of one thief could lead to solving other crimes and sending a message to other would be low lifes.
If you are $eriou$ about solving the problem, I can help. Don't rely on HPD. They have a reputation for a reason. PM me for details.

Perhaps if prisoners had LESS rights instead of more rights, jail would be a more effective deterrent. Thank your local bleeding heart.

Liberalism thrives on the double standard.
Liberalism thrives on the double standard.
man, this is just to sad. All indications point towards more of this behavior too. Unfortunately it's not only bad people doing these things. But honest to God, hard working people who have fallen on hard times with no were to turn!

I said awhile back that it was gonna get ugly in these islands for a spell. Until our local Gov. decides to pull their heads out of their arses. We will be victims over and over again. Just last summer my wife had our car broken into while she took a friend down to the tide pools at the one end of HPP. They broke a side window, just to steal an old mini iPod. Thank God I had car insurance, otherwise side window would have cost me $300.00!!!

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
If they are hard working but not honest, they are still scum...

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
I wonder if lockers placed in a prominent place would work better. The inital cost would be small, using coin operated lockers with keys that can be pinned to one's bathing suit could be an answer, of course until the thugs find a way to start breaking into those. Hey, what about the life guard. Couldn't he/she watch out for people's things? Like if they just placed them near the lifeguard stand? Just two thoughts. I like the Lojack thing too, but the cost of those system might be prohibitive for some. Rental car companies should like it.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Rob, I wish you the best of luck with your initiative, it's a great idea.
The only justification for felony theft is maybe you & your family are starving to death. That can't be the case in Hawaii? There has to be other remedies such as food stamps, public assistance, charity? Be willing to bet these car thieves are just plain evil people or drug related crime (basically they have no reason or respect for normal rules).
Maybe we should just think of it as helping out the less fortunate.
s/

I get robbed by the same people every year but the government acts as the middleman.