Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell Phones and Driving
People playing Nintendo while driving isn't something you see 10x a day, like cellphone use.
It hasn't racked up the same number of victims either.

Easy to prove someone was using a phone - phone records or even a simple photo.
Some countries already make use of photos to prosecute people for eating, applying makeup etc while driving.

"Distracted" is just a word, so lawyers can find their way around it, if paid enough.
And the reason our laws are so messed up is because we try to pinpoint the issues... so we end up with thousands of laws were 1 would do, which of course means the lawyers get to make more money.

Also, you need to drive some city highways, you will see people watching TV, reading books, and... playing hand held games...

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Suprised no one's mentioned TEXTING.... About twice a week I see it here, won't be long before it gets to Hawai'i. You tell me how ANYONE could possibly drive whie texting?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
There have been known cases of people texting while driving and not noticing their vehicle veer off the road. It is a good lesson to be learned if you are the texter and find yourself in the ditch, but when you wipe out innocent victims on the side of the road it's not so cute. The tragic story of a mother and son stopped on the shoulder with a flat tire comes to mind, both murdered by a texter who was writing to his girlfriend and didn't notice his truck heading right for them.

What did these people do when there were no cell phones and couldn't be available 24/7? How did they possibly get through their day?
some people are single minded...others can do more than one thing at once. Perhaps the drivers license office should add making a phone call and answering the phone while driving part of the physical driving test. Then add a phone endorsement to the license.
I can drive a stick, make a call, and eat all at the same time. no problem. Some people can't drive no matter what their doing. I don't know how half the drivers get licensed in the first place.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
As my sign-in name suggests, I play trumpet. I also play while driving. It has saved me numerous times from falling asleep as I used to drive a lot. I am actually more aware of my surroundings while I am playing as I make sure that I have time to react to any surprises around me. This isn't for everyone but I am able to drive our manual transmission car and play (I have a pocket trumpet-which is a compact version of a regular sized trumpet) and have never come close to an accident during my drive. I do get a lot of double-takes, odd looks and people wave at times, especially when I am following people sitting in the bed of pickup trucks.

I am also able to use my cell phone while driving, but not play trumpet and phone at the same time. Because I hate it when people who are on their phones don't signal or often aren't aware of their surroundings, I make sure that I don't fall into that situation. People need to know their limits and drive accordingly. I can no longer eat three plate lunches plus dessert but that is a whole other subject.

dean
Everyone thinks they can drive competently and it's always the other folk who cause accidents. Neither one of you are paying enough attention to the road when you eat, talk on the phone, play an instrument, change gears while trying to drive at the same time. It's only a matter of time before you realise it and let's all hope you don't kill someone finding out. It only takes a second for a child to run out in front of your vehicle and if you are busy with your other activities, you'll never get over the guilt you feel for not having been watching attentively.

Wires, the reason you are not tested on multi tasking while driving is because it's dangerous and can kill innocent people. Simple as that.

I hope you stick to only playing the simpler trumpet pieces.

Texting is part of using a cell phone so I would hope it would be included.

Sure, everyone who uses a phone while driving thinks they can handle it.
And maybe some people can. But that doesn't help when an SUV driven by someone
who can't has just plowed into you at full speed.
You can't legislate common sense.

What did we ever do before there were cell phones? Why is it imperative to not miss a call, or let it go to voicemail? Are we that important nowadays that we just have to answer the phone whenever it rings? Isn't that what voicemail is for?

BTW, the law in California that makes it against the law to talk on the cellphone while driving specifically excludes cops. The theory is that it is in the public interest to allow cops responding to public safety emergencies to use cellphones, because criminals have scanners to hear what the cops are doing.

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)
The charge for driving while using a cell phone should in tandem with reckless endangerment. When I lived in Phoenix, I was crossing the street with my dog, at the crosswalk and with the light, when this person made a legal turn on the arrow. I could see her smiling, animated face as she blabbed away and as she came straight for me, I yelled "HEY" as loud as I could. She gave such a start that the phone flew right out of her hand and she slammed on the brakes about 3 feet in front of me. It's a good thing that I have self-control because I'm confident that personalities with less would have taken that phone and shoved it right down her throat. Enough said.