Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Puna Stuck In a Rut? Positive Solutions?
Truth be told Damon, I really don't think that Puna really wants to change. I think that the only changes they may want are ones that make their personal lives better. I am not even sure that the state's second largest city (Hilo) even wants real changes or to bring more tourists. If they did they would do something about that God-Awful PORT that receives between 2,000 and 5,000 tourists a week.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
I think PAHOA has the chance and OPPORTUNITY To be the MECCA of TOURISM in the WORLD!

We already have the most viewed National Park in the world, Volcanoes National Park. They have done a wonderful job in marketing and getting tourist to go visit the park.

The real beauty of the Volcano can actually be seen by driving past Pahoa down at Kalapana!

If we could divert even 1/8th of the tourist that go to the National Park to come into Pahoa Town and spend an hour, you wouldn't even believe the economic impact that it could have on our town.

Not only that... it would serve notice to our government leaders that we need more infrastructure throughout the entire district.

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
How about a moratorium on development until the infrastructure (hwy 130, fecal bacteria in public swimming places etc.) issues are solved
Rob -

Having been a paying member of FoPF for the last year, I would hardly say that most of the FoPF members are in favor of tourism.

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
OK, I confess. My husband and I are among the evil tourists who come to Puna. We come because we like it just the way it is! We don’t like places that are crowded with tourists like Kona and we don’t like to patronize chains that we could shop/eat at right here in Silicon Valley. We like Puna’s unique character and lack of big hotels/resorts. Sandy beaches? If we want that we can go to Richardson’s. We love to snorkel at Wai#699;#333;pae, love the hot ponds, love the volcano. We rent small houses and patronize local restaurants in Pahoa. Or cook at home using fresh fruit and veg from Hilo Farmers Market.

The only thing that’s irksome: the traffic jams on 130. But if you improve it much it will bring even more people to the area, possibly spoiling what’s attractive about Puna.

It’s a fine balance between economic development and preserving what you have. But whatever you do, please don’t sacrifice the #699;#257;ina.
Eeek! Guess the software doesn't like 'okinas or kahakos!

I meant to say Waiopae and 'aina.

[Smile]
I've never been to Hilo Port but I hear it could be improved greatly, as Devany said. Do they have volunteer greeters as in Kona? Easy access to rental cars? Maps and info booths? If possible we should encourage tourists to skip the shuttle bus to Walmart.

Damon, VNP is a great place but there is no way it could be the "most viewed National Park in the world".

I hope you're not suggesting that people should avoid highlighting the negatives of Puna on this forum because some tourists may be reading. Problems won't get fixed by being ignored.
PaulW -

Aye Karumba you are correct. However, I do believe it is the most visited spot on the Big Island. (Even with the tourist that stay in Kona)

No please keep highlighting the negatives as well. Being honest about things is a good thing.

Critiquing thoughts because of the person is not a good thing.
---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
I think these are both excellent ideas:

quote:
Mainstreet Pahoa Assoc. had a proposal a few years ago for a professionally run camp ground on the land above the community pool. Nice location, great views. This would be attractive to eco-type tourists who could spend money in town and appreciate the laid back Hawaii that we have to offer. These folks travel light and are not looking for $200 rooms.

Another good potential would be for the Land Preservation Fund to acquire Green Mountain/ Green Lake and make it a low key eco-park suitable for locals and tourists alike. Much better property than Steam Vents as far as preservation value.

Right now Puna has two good draws. The flows and entry for lower Puna and the National Park for upper Puna.

For lower Puna I suggest taking part of the Makuu area and creating Emily's cultural center combined with a sort of terminal complex. The cultural center should provide luaus and hula demonstrations. Amateur hula is just fine and appeals to a lot of people. Dancers of all ages, from little tykes to adults. Paid exceptionally authentic luau could be offered. Traditional craft demonstrations etc. Complimenting this would be regular, frequent and dependable shuttles taking tourists to both the entry viewings and Pahoa town and any other viable destinations. Some would love to tour a mac or coffee farm, etc. Secure parking so that tourists taking the shuttles can leave their cars without worry. Tour bus parking, of course. The Makuu could be a destination from which the shuttles would take tourists to other attractions. This would allow Puna to profit from the tourism trade while minimizing the increase of traffic.

For upper Puna I would do much the same except I would put the terminal across the street from the Orchid farm and run shuttles from there into the park and the village.

In both areas I would create the facilities that locals would want to use for their own programs that tourists might enjoy watching.

I'm sure the tour companies could be brought on board when they are shown that they have an easy destination that creates positive reviews. The cruise ships could just bus their guests directly to the centers where their guests would have numerous choices of activities.

As for the Pahoa sidewalk, I would be careful what you ask for. A modern concrete walkway would remove a lot of the charm of Pahoa. I would replace it with another boardwalk that would match the period look of the town.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
"Volcanoes National Park is actually Hawaii’s most visited tourist attraction, with nearly 9,000 visitors coming to the park each day." http://www.hawaiilogue.com/active-volcan...awaii.html

If we could get 1000 of those eating at Pahoa Restaurants each day. Wink

Or 500 of them shopping...

Or even 2 getting tattoos at Rudedoggs Tattoo Parlor each day.... [8D]

Pahoa in general would be better off.

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs