Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PIZZA
Kaleo's Asian Lettuce Wraps are excellent. And there's the Mediterranean plate that you build tastey things yourself. These are off the Pu Pu menu at the bar, though the dinners are fab also! Oh and the wine is good too.

Conversation Hint: Ask the bartender, Greg, about the Oakland Raiders.
Paolo goes back to "Sicily" every year. Or he used to. I've lived her for 14 yrs and seems that has been his program.
When you go to Kaleo's be sure to try their field greens with that fabulous citrus dressing...also Mella and I ate there and she suggested the salad and then if you order a piece of fish (I had blackened Ono) on top of the salad...so yummmmy. The chocolate ganache is fantastic too...very decadent.

One suggestion is that if you do go, please be sure to go BEFORE the band starts...I LOVE this place, but dang we had to scream at each other both times I was there and it was only a three-piece band. Hated it!

P.S. We really love Boogie-Woogie Pizza. It's very good.

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"...So began the massacre of the Shaolin Temple and all sixty of the monks inside at the fists of the White Lotus. And so began the legend of Pai Mei's five-point-palm-exploding-heart technique." - Bill
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I have to agree with you Scott on this one. I went to cooking school in Italy and I found the place barely passable. BUT considering the alternatives... OK... just OK.

quote:
Originally posted by Kahunascott

I guess you've never been to Italy

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom
P.S. We really love Boogie-Woogie Pizza. It's very good.

Ive always been meaning to try this joint out...
I tend to always go to Pizza Hawaii. (Puainako Center)
Decent pizza there and I was really bummed when they closed in Pahoa...
Anyway, any suggestions as to what pie to avoid and/or must have from Boogie-Woogie...
Devany, I'm surprised to hear that. What's your favorite restaurant in East Hawaii?
If it's better than Paolo's then I'll be in for a treat.
quote:
Originally posted by DanielP

Since Paolo grew up in Italy, working in his father's restaurant, he might just be authentic Italian (Tuscan). My Favorite!

(Scott doesn't like Paolo's) Go Figure

I figure that if the Board of Health inspects his joint he would be closed on the spot, go figure[8)]
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

You guess wrong.

I meant New York City.
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Paul,

My favorite place to eat in East Hawaii is MY house. You ask about restaurants. It is hard to have a favorite restaurant when most are substandard here. I lived in Chicago for 15 years, ten of which I did restaurant reviews. I have been to NYC many many times and had some wonderful Italian American Food, as well as some quite good regional Italian. Boston's North End has a great little Italy Vibe, but it is also mostly Italian American, quite different from Italian Regional.

I really like Garden Snack Club in Hilo, a secret sort of restaurant that is Thai inspired very fresh and mostly local food. Hilo Bay Cafe except for the location. In Puna, I would say Kaleos, though it can be inconsistent at times and quite noisy too. I like Cafe Pesto, but prefer the Kawaihae location (though that does not fit the East Side criteria).

What I did not like about Paolo's is slow service, dirt, and the fact that the guy cannot even bother to get a liquor license. Name me one great Italian restaurant anywhere that does not serve wine!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Scott, New York City?

Devany, the lack of a liquor licence is one of the many positive aspects of Paolo's in my opinion. I wish more restaurants were the same, I prefer to pick wine from a much wider range (liquor store, or what I have at home) and not have to pay a 200, 300 or even 400% markup. I agree, restaurants can't match a good home-cooked meal but still good to eat out sometimes.