Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Hawaii
We are more low energy (kayak) paddlers, but Canoe Beach in Hilo (the Hilo Bayfront Park with all f the Canoe sheds) is THE place to get involved in outrigger canoeing in all of Hawaii (and last weekend was THE weekend!)

Puna Canoe Club is one of the best
http://www.punacanoeclub.org/

Also the Hilo Yacht Club is a great (and VERY reasonable) way to get active in sailing in HIlo Bay
http://www.hilo-sailing.org/
This is Sistersue. Bonny is my newest neighbor. Bonny walked to my house to tell me my dog was in her yard so I went over and retrieved her. Malia had broken her swivel-hook. I'm very grateful to Bonny and glad she wasn't afraid of my old, fat dog. Bonny posted to Punatalk under my name (automatic sign-in) because she is using my computer. Bonny's email is: bonny777@msn.com.
You may want to take her email off the post (it is not a secure way of allowing people to email her). She can email forum member & members can email her through the forum by clicking on her name.
Hi DoryGray - does Keaau CC mean Keaau Cultural Center? Where is it located? I have always wanted to take Yoga lessons. I also agree with you about walking on the roads. I've heard about dog attacks on humans in the streets. Thank you about the Yoga.
Keaau Community Center is located behind the Police station, just off of Old Volcano (about a block above the Shell station
Thank you.
Blake,

One of the largest and most established canoe clubs is the Puna Canoe Club.

Go to: www.punacanoeclub.org

From their site:

As a member of Moku O Hawaii, the Big Island’s outrigger canoe racing association, Puna participates in a regatta and long distance season that runs from May through October of each year. Puna’s program covers all ages from keiki (children) to kupuna (seniors) and welcomes new members to its hui (club).

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
To amplify Rob's post a little;

The Big Island Outrigger "regatta" racing season just ended with the State championship races at Hilo Bay. (Puna won their division).

Canoe paddling now shifts gears to the "long distance" race season. They race from several venues around the island (Kawaihae, Kailua/Kona, Honaunau, Hilo). The races are from 8-22 miles long and for seasoned paddlers. The season culminates in the fall with the Men's and women's Molokai channel races from Molokai to O'ahu. (44 miles)

The season starts up in the spring for novice and returning paddlers, and you would be welcome at any of the Hilo clubs.

For anyone interested in off season paddling, the University sponsors a year round program out of their halau at Hilo Bay for Novice and experienced alike. The University's Halau is located next to Puna's and isn't as competitively oriented as the Moku O Hawaii clubs. I'm not sure when they go out, but I know Sunday morning is utilized.

Enjoy!

punatoons
What is really impressive about the canoe clubs is that they are open to all and bring out the best in all the various cultures and groups on the island. If you want to meet a broad spectrum of Big Island folks the canoe clubs are hard to beat.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks Guys! We will certainly check this out!

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/