Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no subject
I am so glad that our pair of sisters have clearly established pack order, one is the worlds most passive Zeta dog, and one is clearly the Alpha. Our other dog is bigger and older, and has established her place as pack leader when they are outside. Inside nobody is alpha except the people. They all sleep in a big pile at night and spend a lot of time licking each others faces. In the past we always had two dogs, going to three changed things exponentially. I can't imagine dealing with the dynamics of 4, but it seems like three is the magic number where you start to have a pack mentality to deal with.

There is a dog trainer and German Shepard breeder in North Hilo I've heard good things about www.younghaus.com but I don't have any personal experience with them. Craig's partner is a vet tech and rumor has it he has been considering starting some classes. He was great with our extremely stressed out rescue dog when we took her in for the heart worm test. Maybe Craig will show him this thread and he will jump in.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
we just can't deal with our two males fighting and trying to establish alpha from zeta. it's too painful to watch the smaller dog take a beating (and renee, too). the last fight happened in the house while we were all in the living room. we don't know what provoked the bigger male to attack his brother? renee was in the middle trying to separate them and i was yanking on the bigger male with all my might to get him off. he only stopped because i nearly strangled him with his collar. he and his mother were banned outside and got a hefty amount of water thrown on them. maybe what i should have done was throw the water on them IN the house?![:0] we've resigned to keep them separated and give them affection and company as they're rotated in/out of the house.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

My thought was that the answer to the issue is to just have one dog.
I don't understand the throwing water on them part?

~ Rachael
~ Rachael
our vet told us to do that. sorta like SHOCK and AWE.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

quote:
Originally posted by dfryman

I have four dogs, all female. The mom is 8 years old. Two siblings are one year old and the other is 4 months old. All of the dogs are on runners. My son (he is 16)takes them out for walks about four to five times a week. He walks them without a leash because he takes them into a wooded area. The last three times the dogs were let loose together, the two siblings would fight. The mom would try to break it up, but she couldn't. the only way my son can get them to break up is by spraying them with the water hose. The last time they fought, they were in the woods, so no water hose. My son left them there and they stopped fighting and came home very hurt. They are part pit bull but real loving to people. Can anyone give me advise on why they are fighting with each other and what to do about it? Other ways to break them up? They were raised together from birth. Thanks

Donna Fryman

I assume you are a Troll and this entire post was a joke ,correct ???

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published in 2000 a study on dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) that covered the years 1979-1998. The report found that

"the data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."

These dogs should never be allowed to be loose.
Obie, You make some strange assumptions.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Francine,

That is terrible that your own dogs fight! Especially since they are mother and two sons! That would be heart breaking.

I hope Renee is OK.

quote:
Originally posted by kani-lehua

just when we thought our dogs were getting along (mother and two sons), DOG FIGHT! hundreds of dollars in vet bills. they were getting along again, then DOG FIGHT! renee got bit badly from trying to separate them and ended up in emergency. more vet bills. more doctors' bills. we FINALLY learned OUR lesson--keep them separated. all of them are sterilized.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
devany: it is terrible and heart breaking. thank you for your concern. you haven't seen renee in sometime. hopefully you and wes can attend the international cooking club event at our house on sept. 5 and see her 2 inch scar. this isn't the first time she's gotten bitten by them. i'll have her tell you the gory details. it's in our/their best interests to keep them separated which is fairly easy here.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

w. james

OK,I'll bite.
What is the purpose (or point) of keeping any dog that makes it a habit of biting people unless the dog was actually defending the owner in a severe situation?