Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annoying tour helicoptors
Even worse are the helecopters that several times a week for months come down to within a hundred feet altitude and hover looking for paka....It is terrifying, we have had damage to our orchard and the horses freak out everytime the copters come swooping in.

But what really gets me is that THESE helecopters are probably law looking for pakalolo (which we don't have) and to think of the thousands of tax dollars wasted trying to find something not there.

aloha
aloha
Naw the pakalolo copters are out of cash even they say so... The new helicopter noise has to do with a change in vent/viewing locations me thinks ..... as to the current noise... Its been quiet in my neck of the woods after months of overflights. I think the pattern has changed

observation:

eight posts and some effort to stir the pot - do we see a pattern here? low numbers of posts have been a pretty good predictor of pot (pardon the pun) stirring lately. Note the similar writing styles of many of these new bees - passive voice being the latest modification.

aloha
Good point Glen! [8D]

quote:
Originally posted by Glen

Tourist helicopters: The sound of money coming to the island.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Now I feel bad. Me and LOML flew on one of the tours in March, 2002. If I'd had only known then....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I'll take a fixed wing plane any day over a chopper. One thing goes wrong and they don't "glide" down, they just spin out and crash. No thank you. However, I have to say they have their uses in emergencies...I just don't want to be in one [xx(][xx(][xx(].

As far as noise with tourism choppers, it's been quiet over Hawaiian Beaches/Shores the last few days. I don't seem to be too bothered with the tourist ones because they keeping moving, unlike the pot hunters that hover low in one spot, annoying as hell, hate it. I see dollar signs trailing behind them.
So, to all of you that have been bothered by helicopter noise, how many of you have filed a formal complaint each time it happened with the FAA's FSDO?
Sandra

"One thing goes wrong and they don't "glide" down, they just spin out and crash"

helicopters are safer than fixed wing at low altitude as they can "autorotate" to a safe landing if the zarbities get to the powerplant.

read how here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation_(helicopter)

good rule of thumb... under 500 feet stick with the helicopter, over 500 pack a parachute that will open in 450 and avoid the scarebus (airbus) at any altitude -- grin

Comment:
In the day (70's prior to d.b. cooper) we used to take our parachutes aboard passenger jets as carry on when traveling to competitions, avoiding damage was the consideration as we would be counting on them later. How the world has changed
I am happy to see the helicopter tour companies doing well. Having so many extra helicopters and skilled pilots around the island might come in real handy in the event of a major disaster. Being locals themselves, you can bet that they would be volunteering to help out.
Some of you guy's posts are just silly.

Banning tour buses? Come on.

Money coming in? Into who's pocket? Not mine.
Tourist Driving to see the ocean entry infuses more into Puna.

The only thing that will decrease the Hel-tours is if the volcano stops which I hope It does.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
quote:
Originally posted by kimo wires

Some of you guy's posts are just silly.

Banning tour buses? Come on.

Money coming in? Into who's pocket? Not mine.
Tourist Driving to see the ocean entry infuses more into Puna.

The only thing that will decrease the Hel-tours is if the volcano stops which I hope It does.

Simply put it’s just a “what’s next” question. This guy doesn’t want A the next doesn’t like B and nobody likes C. Do we just keep banning everything until all the residents are happy?
And the tourism does put money right in your pocket in the form of lower taxes. Without tourism our GE and property taxes would be much higher. Tourism is this States largest income producer, no?
If banning the choppers cost you an extra $2000 a year in the form of increased taxes would you be ok with that? Not me, I say lettem’ fly and bring in the money.[Big Grin]

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....