Newer Lava update, Friday, 10-30-09
Went last night amazing how close you can get to the lava

aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Absolutely great show last night! Thanks for pointing this out Greg, we thought we'd go for an hour or so and ended up being there for 4 hours! My kids were mesmerized.
Great viewing again tonight. Flowing, bubbling lava, burning brush, explosions, cracks with lava glowing in them about 10 feet from the end of the trail. All within a short easy walk. Thanks Greg for letting us know about these current conditions. We walked out to the viewing area last week which was nice, but tonight was truly spectacular. Now if it would start moving slightly west as we are in the process of building a home about six miles east of the current flow.
I was going to try to make it, but I heard it's stopped already? Is that true?
Any update on the flow? I was hoping to check it out this week, too.
Yes, The current lava event has slowed considerably. Some glow and the occasional burning tree. The ocean entry has also slowed.

There has been a deflation going on that bottomed out saturday. As there is an inflation event starting again we can only wait and see what happens next.

I'll post any significant developments.

punatoons
It was pretty weak last night, nothing like Saturday! I wish one of the workers there would send out updates on the conditions each night. Either live blogging or twitter, or anything that lets me know if it's worth the hour drive.

--
Chris
http://AmbanjaStudios.com
Cris,
The activity is updated daily here. The nightly report appears on the next day's HVO page, so there is unfortunatly a 12-24 hr delay.

For the workers and scientists alike, each day often brings new surprises. A "real time" update isn't within the budget or mission of the county operation. The workers are primarily there for the safety of the visitors.

punatoons
"For the workers and scientists alike, each day often brings new surprises...."

Yep. I agrre.

Actually, Sunday night there was some pretty amazing out-of-the-clear-blue fountaining and booming at the ocean entry....right at sunset-time. According to the park people down there, it was the first time it's done that since February!

Really rather impressive.
During my latest visit and at the viewing I saw weather created at and by the ocean entry event. Lightening striking down into the steam clouds, thunder and followed by loads of rain as we walked back to our parked car. Seems Carrie posted photos of water spouts created there also. Yes what a fabulous upfront view of the laboratory! Lucky you guys!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PunaWebFriends/photos/pic/list?mode=photos&order=mtime&start=51&count=50&dir=desc

The photos of the water spout but you may need to have a sign in to view them I'm not sure.

mella l

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA